AllSafe

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 pm

I would had put up Federal DSAs or ACA Alertronic 6000 electronic sirens rather than having ATIs because both of those are considerably more efficient.

Whelen Rules

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:00 am

douro20 wrote:I would had put up Federal DSAs or ACA Alertronic 6000 electronic sirens rather than having ATIs because both of those are considerably more efficient.

Actually the ACA Alertronic 6000s were rotating sirens as that was our old system :D . ASC Alertronics are the directional speakers. But I must say the ACA Alertronic 6000 (R-1600) was a very effective siren which could actually be ordered in dual tone they were rated around 126dB, and actually delivered a clear powerful voice message, though We never used voice messaging that much due to the only purpose being for tornado warnings.
Tyler Lund

AllSafe

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:27 am

Actually, Alertronic 6000s as they are currently produced are all omni. They made a directional version but it didn't sell as well as the omni.

Melvin Potts

San Francisco Sirens

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:07 pm

The San Francisco ATIs use a recording of an STL10 since that's what they used to have there.
Interesting! I didn't know that ATI did/could do such.

Too bad nobody had a recording of the old Thunderbolts in Nashville(they were disconnected in the early 80s)..maybe ATI could've reproduced that?
ATI is the most pitifull siren company I have ever seen!!! There are people in Nashville who live half a mile or more and can't hear these sirens. Also look at the designs of both the Federal Modulator and Whelens they both actually took time to design and create not just throwing speakers on a pole and calling it a siren.
The Nashville ATIs are pitiful..and pathetic! The first Saturday they were tested I went out in my back yard; could barely hear the siren then. I live about 1/2 mile from one of these devices. Whether it can be heard outside the house or inside depends upon atmospheric conditions.

The ATIs are supposedly there to warn people OUTDOORS of tornadoes, etc. Most of them are in city parks or at schools.
However, if the sound doesn't carry that well, how effective are they?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”