Justin

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Captain Dynamite wrote:Unlike America, any old sirens left in Australia are just mainly left unused.
They just simply are not used as (I'm presuming) most of the Rural Fire Service is on a pager calling system now and as such fall into disrepair. Of course the mystery one at Burrumbuttock would be the exception.

For things like tsunami warnings, etc: SEWS has largely taken over the need for public warning (though isn't effective for outdoor warning per se). Ever since the Victorian Bushfires of '09, there has been considerable debate whether to bring them back into service.

It all depends on whether the station decides that it would be a good idea to have one. I can see why we wouldn't since we're pager called as well as that most of those who are members of the brigade work in Bathurst so there would be little point to having one. For much much smaller communities/villages, they would make sense and would also double as a community warning for an approaching fire storm/disaster.

Come to think of it, I've seen the SO4 before... Looks like the MS22 is used by some CFA stations in Victoria too...

Grong Grong has one as well though it isn't visible on Street View. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can grab a photo of it as I'll be heading back to home on Thursday/Friday.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”