bradhig

noaa weather radio sounds alarms right after each other

Sat May 22, 2010 12:05 am

Yesterday my Midland WR300 sounded for a flood warning and as soon as they were finished reading that warning they sound the alarm for another flood warning why couldn't they just read both warnings after one alarm?

bwillcox

Sat May 22, 2010 4:54 pm

If the warnings were for different counties, they have to send the SAME data burst for that county to activate receivers there for folks that have them set up to alert for only their county. Otherwise their receivers won't go off.
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: noaa weather radio sounds alarms right after each other

Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Bradhig has a point. The warnings were both flood warnings, so why couldn't they have issued one warning for both counties instead of issuing two separate warnings? Both counties' receivers would have still gotten the warning.

We have this problem where I live too. It didn't start until they started using the computer voice to read the warnings. It isn't as bad as it used to be, but it still happens, especially during severe weather events where there's a fast moving line of storms.

An unavoidable problem that can also occur is that two different types of warnings, such as for a severe thunderstorm, and for a flash flood, are issued for the same county at the same time. Before the EAS, the NWS could sound the alarm once, and combined both warnings into a single warning. I remember that happening when I was about 13 years old. Now, with the EAS, that is impossible, because of the way the SAME headers are constructed. They now have to activate the EAS for the thunderstorm warning, then activate it again for the flash flood warning.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Sat May 22, 2010 10:59 pm

In some areas, 2 different weather service offices broadcast warnings on the same transmitter. If this is the case, the warnings will come through separately. If they want one warning to last longer than another, they will issue them separately. Some office also split off river flood warnings for different major rivers, but will combine the flood warnings for different points along the same river.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”