SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Funny siren tones

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 pm

Funny tones on a Federal Signal Interceptor with the selector knob turned between the normal siren tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SWWivlqFI

SirenMadness

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 pm

You know, for once, I'm actually enjoying a vehicle siren like that. :D
~ Peter Radanovic

Undertaker

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:05 am

Years ago there was an electronic siren called Dominator. I don't know if that was the manufacturer or the name of the siren but the yelp on it sounded exactly like the funny yelp on the interceptor. By the way, the Director and the Interceptor were good sirens in their day but both were 56 or 58 watts and if there was nothing for the sound to bounce off of you were just SOL!

AllSafe

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 am

doing that to your interceptor too much can blow the diodes in it...it's hard on the analog generators in the tone module.

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:42 am

Douro, actually, I read on another site that its the output transistors that would get blown when you do the "funny" tones too much. At the least, the siren controller would blow it's fuse due to the increased current draw from such tones; look at how the power lamp dims when those tones are activated. At the worst, the output transistors would overheat and blow.

The higher pitched yelp dosen't really look too bad but the "sonar" tone and the hi/lo and yelp combinition looks like it's really overloading the amplifier circuit.

Robert Gift

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Wish I could see the circuit schematic to discern what contacts/circuits are being shorted by the abuse and why it is drawing so much current.

The amplifying/output stages should not be drawing the excessive amperage.

If one produces strange tones not recognized as a siren, and an accident occurs, the EV driver will likely be sued.
Also may be charged with not sufficiently paying attention. (playing with the siren)

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”