Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

What About a New Siren Archive?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 am

I started a subdomain of my inactive site that can be used to host a new siren archive. I will contact the old archive people to see about transitioning over.

http://archive.civildefensesirens.com

It'll be along the same general format. You can email pictures in to [email protected]

When you email in, be sure to send info relating to the picture #, such as City, State, County (as some cities are in more than 1 county), and Siren Location (intersection or landmark). You can also add any testing info, such as fire station siren at 6 pm everyday. Only give the info if you are sure about it though.
Busgeek71 wrote:I've been thinking about the old Siren Archive, and wonder if a new, similar site should be made for us siren photogs and enthusiasts. I've actually thought of building a site myself. Any thoughts from the board?
Toledo 2t22 wrote:I had the same thoughts myself, but If you want to go ahead. I've created and I maintain a few sites for my various school activities (Quiz Bowl, Chess Team, German Honorary) so I'm very good at designing web pages. I just wouldn't have the funds to get it online... I'm kind of broke right now and thats why my model 5 is still sitting in pieces across the city of toledo lol
Mantis wrote:If someone starts building one, I'd be glad to help where I can (supplying photos, etc). I actually started one myself but scrapped it before getting very far.
Busgeek71 wrote:How much storage is best for a site like this? The host I found has 1024MB storage. Would this be enough? This is the only thing I haven't worked out yet.
kswx29 wrote:I think a new Siren Archive would be great. It would be a centralized place for siren pictures and a place where some could go to find out what sirens certain communities use.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a photo gallery using one of the popular gallery scripts (Gallery 2 or 3, Coppermine, etc.) and just allow people to sign up and upload photos that way?

That way we don't have to rely on someone having time to sort through the emails and get things uploaded...
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Busgeek71

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 pm

I have a lot of spare time, and I would be gladly willing to run the site. The only thing I have issue with is code. If anyone could offer hosting with design templates, or somehow help, I can do the rest. I can easily be able to update the site regularly.

Model2

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am

Oldiesmann wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a photo gallery using one of the popular gallery scripts (Gallery 2 or 3, Coppermine, etc.) and just allow people to sign up and upload photos that way?

That way we don't have to rely on someone having time to sort through the emails and get things uploaded...
This is a good idea. I used to get so frustrated waiting the months it took for my pictures to be uploaded to the archive.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 am

None of you are implying that I ever get behind on anything! ;) oops. The first batch is up on there though. It's in a format very similar to the old archive. I am a master of simplicity, so the text-based works well for me, but I know some like the interactive galleries. If you guys overwhelmingly prefer the fancier stuff, let me know.

http://archive.civildefensesirens.com

or I've also changed the main page to link directly to it, so it can be accessed via http://civildefensesirens.com
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Rheems1

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 pm

The new siren archive looks great, it is nice to see it back up and running. It is a shame that Jim and Paul Marcoz ran out of time to update it but I think they deserve a huge nod for hosting/updating the first siren archive. I know that we all got a little frusterated when it took them a long time to upload our photos but they were doing the best they could while trying to run a fledgling business. A big deserves to go to Adam Pollack also for stepping up to the plate with a domain and the work he has already put into the new archive. Here is hoping that it will continue to grow in it's new home!!

Justin

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 am

Model2 wrote:
Oldiesmann wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to set up a photo gallery using one of the popular gallery scripts (Gallery 2 or 3, Coppermine, etc.) and just allow people to sign up and upload photos that way?

This is a good idea. I used to get so frustrated waiting the months it took for my pictures to be uploaded to the archive.
That was the original idea behind the series of scripts I was trying to write, to streamline the whole process and make it a bit more interactive (sort by location, type, etc). I've still got them sitting on my hard disk somewhere and have four months of holidays coming up, so I'll see what I can come up with. Unfortunately had a series of traumatic events unfold which has more or less consumed most of my time at uni.

Galleries like Coppermine and Gallery are nice, but they're more for photo galleries and whilst would fulfil the "instant upload" thing, it seems that they would be more of a pain in the backside than anything.

Kudos to Adam and Paul for their efforts!

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 am

Looks great Adam

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 am

Would a mediaWiki installation be too much to ask for? :)

It would allow us to update the wiki as needed, no delays, upload files as needed, categorize much easier.
--bc

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

I think the Wiki idea is really the only sustainable way to keep a siren archive going. Maybe we can link it to a "master" Google map of sirens all over the world :wink:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”