Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:57 am

cmoore wrote:does anybody have any pictures of some of the sirens in the old system in Indy? There were some on the web a few years back but I cant find them anymore.
Is this what you were thinking of? http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm#indiana
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 pm

woodyrr wrote:You might message crazywarriorman here on ARS and ask him what he knows about the siren in the photo on his Photobucket page. I seem to recall that there was a caption somewhere that this siren was installed by Marion County. If it is a Marion County Indiana siren, the structure of water tower on which it is installed bears a resemblance to the structure of the water tower next to the Thunderbolt on the Ayers building.

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu14 ... 00056A.jpg

That's an old HOR sirex that's either in Chicago, or New York. The pic is Eric Ls originally (EL1998p71), I just saved it and posted it to my photobucket page. I live in Clinton County, IL which is very close to Marion County, IL. So maybe that's what your thinking.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

cmoore

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Oldiesmann wrote:
cmoore wrote:does anybody have any pictures of some of the sirens in the old system in Indy? There were some on the web a few years back but I cant find them anymore.
Is this what you were thinking of? http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm#indiana
Yes Ive seen these but I think somebody, maybe Matt Hackler posted a bunch but I cant find em any more.
Naptown Sirens

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:35 am

Yep I posted a bunch of pictures a while ago. Give me a few day's and I'll have to repost them. Don't have the time right now, I'm on my rotation at work until the end of the night tomorrow.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

cmoore

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 am

Matt Hackler wrote:Yep I posted a bunch of pictures a while ago. Give me a few day's and I'll have to repost them. Don't have the time right now, I'm on my rotation at work until the end of the night tomorrow.
Ok thanks man! I appreciate that
Naptown Sirens

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 pm

I found the photo credit for the photo on crazywarriorman's photobucket page.

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu14 ... 00056A.jpg

This siren was installed on the water tower on top of the L. S. Ayers building in Indianapolis.

The Associated Press credit reads:

SUPER AIR RAID SIREN INSTALLED

Workers complete installing this 50-Horsepower super air raid siren atop the L.S. Ayers building in the heart of Indianapolis. Said to be the world's largest electrically driven siren, it weighs 900 pounds and sits 170 feet above street level and can be heard for a mile. It will have it's first public test on March 31 when Indianapolis stages it's first alert since World War II.

Associated Press Photo
GBF-3/27/52-STAR

I'll prepare a composite picture of the photo and the credit next week and post it.
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Nice find! Is that an HOR?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

coop866

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Oldiesmann wrote:Nice find! Is that an HOR?
Looks like it. It's missing the part that covers the motor though.
Former owner of a 1984 ACA S-10 Screamer, now in the possession of fellow forum-user estokke09.

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:37 am

When I was in regular contact with Indy's EMA they said they didn't know of any siren system before the Tbolts. This is an interesting find though. I've always thought that a city the size of Indy probably had some sirens in the downtown area atleast. There was a Thunderbolt on the LS Ayers building in downtown where the HOR was supposed to be located in this picture. So the evidence is mounting to there being sirens before the Tbolts.

Here are my (as well as Brad's and a few from Bing) photos of the old Indy siren system. Gotta say, I miss those Tbolts!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52574569@N ... hotostream
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 am

That first one is still there. I'm still not sure exactly why or if it is still used, but last time I checked the power was still on going to it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”