woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 am

Here is the composite photo of the Indianapolis HOR Super Sirex on the L.S. Ayers building water tower and the accompanying AP photo caption and credit.

Indianapolis HOR Super Sirex Siren by woodyrr, on Flickr
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Well I would say that siren is for sure a response to the cold war. And there at the end of the article where it talked about Indianapolis not staging an alert since WWII would indicate the city for sure had some type of air raid system stemming from WWII. Cool article for sure.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

cmoore

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 am

Matt Hackler wrote:When I was in regular contact with Indy's EMA they said they didn't know of any siren system before the Tbolts. This is an interesting find though. I've always thought that a city the size of Indy probably had some sirens in the downtown area atleast. There was a Thunderbolt on the LS Ayers building in downtown where the HOR was supposed to be located in this picture. So the evidence is mounting to there being sirens before the Tbolts.

Here are my (as well as Brad's and a few from Bing) photos of the old Indy siren system. Gotta say, I miss those Tbolts!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52574569@N ... hotostream
Thank you sir!! I appreciate it! Brings back so many memories. The siren you took with the Bing map is still on top of that bldg. and I believe there is a red model 5 somewhere on 64th and Oaklandon Rd. There is also a series of DSAs around Ft. Ben on the north east side.
Naptown Sirens

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”