Tkjns

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 am

Well I've driven out to Rock Creek the least three Wednesdays and so far the siren hasn't sounded. The second time I tried to find a DNR Ranger to ask if it had broken down again but their office was empty and their trucks were gone. The third time there was a bird crawling up into part of the siren (not a good sign that it has been sounded). I almost hate to keep asking the rangers about it because I just read an article on how over worked and underfunded all state parks are here in Iowa this season so it's probably not at the top of their list though they've been very polite so far. Perhaps Crazywarriorman has heard back from his contacts?
Jake H.

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 am

It (the siren itself) or the radio receiver is broken (or both). If it hasn't gone off for that long a period of time, there's no way it isn't broken unless the agency that tests it is extremely spacey.

Hopefully somebody will get on it soon... :? :roll:
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 am

Tkjns wrote:Well I've driven out to Rock Creek the least three Wednesdays and so far the siren hasn't sounded. The second time I tried to find a DNR Ranger to ask if it had broken down again but their office was empty and their trucks were gone. The third time there was a bird crawling up into part of the siren (not a good sign that it has been sounded). I almost hate to keep asking the rangers about it because I just read an article on how over worked and underfunded all state parks are here in Iowa this season so it's probably not at the top of their list though they've been very polite so far. Perhaps Crazywarriorman has heard back from his contacts?
The last few bells and whistles were installed last month. The siren isn't hooked up to the remote link from the sherriffs office to be remotely activated. The testing schedule is the first wednesday of each month, at 10 AM.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Tkjns

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 am

That makes sense, that's the same time Newton and most of Jasper county test their sirens. They had much more of a set up, electrical wise, at the campground last week so I'll be on hand with a camera next Wednesday and we'll see what happens!
Jake H.

SentryDefender1275
YouTube Username: AmericanSirenProductions

Re: Two SoundMasters in Trouble

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Hate to boost this old post but I will try to be in Oakland Acres on the first Wednesday and do Rock Creek State Park as well. A group of us enthusiasts will be there
Instead of screaming swag and drinking, I go film sirens #americansirenproductions

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:29 am

Someone was talking about that meetup on Discord, and I mentioned that it might be wise to set up in front of the horns of whichever SoundMaster you go to, if possible, or just slightly off, If you're set up directly behind the horns, the sound will most likely be more muted than if you were in front of just off of the horns. I don't know why I'm thinking of this, but it seems like it would enhance your SoundMaster experience.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:44 pm

I dont know if Table Rock Alerting Systems operates that far, but maybe the owners of these soundmasters could go to them?
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Purring Cat
YouTube Username: Purring Cat

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:07 pm

Table Rock Systems is in Missouri. I dont think TRS does installations in Iowa, but that could be wrong.

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 am

SentryDefender1275 wrote: Hate to boost this old post but I will try to be in Oakland Acres on the first Wednesday and do Rock Creek State Park as well. A group of us enthusiasts will be there
Make sure to practice social distancing! :P
nvanw27 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:29 am
Someone was talking about that meetup on Discord, and I mentioned that it might be wise to set up in front of the horns of whichever SoundMaster you go to, if possible, or just slightly off, If you're set up directly behind the horns, the sound will most likely be more muted than if you were in front of just off of the horns. I don't know why I'm thinking of this, but it seems like it would enhance your SoundMaster experience.
Considering that it's a group going I think they are planning on getting a few different angles.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”