3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Millstone power plant to get new sirens

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:43 am

The only operating nuclear power plant in CT, Millstone nuclear, is replacing it's 25 year old WS 2000 system, with 2910s. The system will go from 125 WS 2008s, 2012s and 2016s, to 80 2910s. The 2910s are already starting to be installed. There's a video on our ABC affiliate's site http://www.wtnh.com/ (scroll down half way and click on "Millstone replacing old warning system" under watch our stories). I'm planning on making a road trip down there once the 2910s are all hooked up, to record a test. As for the 125 WS 2000s fate, I'm not too sure, they'll probably end up doing what the now closed CT Yankee atomic power plant did with their WS 2000 system, either donate or sell them to local VFDs that want them or junk them. I may try to snag a 2008, or a 2012 once more come down.

ermaff6231

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:26 pm

very cool :) :D

Rheems1

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 am

Very interesting... that answers a question I had. I was just up in Ct on my way home from vaction... in Deep Water, Ct I saw two or three 2016's but wasn't sure what they were for. That explains it..... I am not the type to write out the "I wonder if they will sell me one" thing on here... but in this case I make an exception. I would love to buy a 2016.... I think they are pretty neat looking. On the Whelen topic, I got to see my first 3016 this weekend. It was part of the Seabrook Station Nuclear Power Plant system. Those things are MONSTERS!! But yet so cool looking, I am going to put one of those on my christmas list to Santa... see if he brings me one for Christmas. :) On an interesting note, Whelens are made in Chester, Ct.... you would expect that at the Chester Fire Department they would have a Whelen siren..... that is not the case... they have a 2/3T22. I don't know why I found this interesting enough to post..... but it seemed noteworthy to me.

Dave

3t22

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:52 am

Rheems1 wrote:Very interesting... that answers a question I had. I was just up in Ct on my way home from vaction... in Deep Water, Ct I saw two or three 2016's but wasn't sure what they were for. That explains it..... I am not the type to write out the "I wonder if they will sell me one" thing on here... but in this case I make an exception. I would love to buy a 2016.... I think they are pretty neat looking. On the Whelen topic, I got to see my first 3016 this weekend. It was part of the Seabrook Station Nuclear Power Plant system. Those things are MONSTERS!! But yet so cool looking, I am going to put one of those on my christmas list to Santa... see if he brings me one for Christmas. :) On an interesting note, Whelens are made in Chester, Ct.... you would expect that at the Chester Fire Department they would have a Whelen siren..... that is not the case... they have a 2/3T22. I don't know why I found this interesting enough to post..... but it seemed noteworthy to me.

Dave
that area is full of various omni WS 2000s mostly 2016s, but I'm not sure if Deep River is in the Millstone EPZ. The VFDs out that way use them with at least 2 exceptions. The Hadlyme VFD has a 5 (10hp I suspect) and Chester Hose Co has the 2T22 you saw in spite of their closeness to Whelen (5 miles down the road). If your in the area again, 1 let me know :wink: , and 2 they test the 2T22 at noon daily. If you have a scanner, listen to 46.18, you'll hear Valley Shore communications tone it out (DTMF), it'll do a 6 second blast. It also sounds for fire calls 24/7 and sounds awesome. If you had passed through Windsor (just north of Hartford) on I-291 you would of seen another 3016. As for the old 2016s from Millstone, I'll track one down for you, and anyone else who may want one.

Rheems1

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:08 am

Dan,

I was thinking about stopping by in Vernon... but by the time I thought about it.. I was down in Deep River at 4:00 PM after driving from Waterville, ME... next year when I make my trek up to Maine... I will call you and we can meet up..if I make my trip up to Maine. I didn't run into 1 friendly person north of RI and that doesn't give me the warm feeling of wanting to vaction up there again. Let me know what you can find about a 2016, at the Deep River Fire Department on Route 8 was the first one of those I had seen (I wandered aimlessly from Chester... found a big road and turned toward what I thought would be Route 9.. so basically I was lost). On an interesting note, the entrence to the Whelen plant is gated... I am not sure if it would be open during the day... or if you have to take a ticket... maybe have the Captain Midnight Secret Decoder ring... something like that.

Dave

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:25 am

You really wouldn't think a nuclear power plant would be replacing their sirens now, I mean they are probably more than halfway through their operating license.

3t22

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:08 am

STH10B wrote:You really wouldn't think a nuclear power plant would be replacing their sirens now, I mean they are probably more than halfway through their operating license.
Yes they are, and there's been talk recently of shutting the plant down. I also found a text article regarding the siren replacement http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ ... onnecticut, according to this article there's 159 WS 2000, I had heard 125 on our CBS affiliate WFSB, but it was just a quick blurb in the "town by town" segment on the 5PM newscast last night, plus I was on the phone with my g/f who wouldn't stop talking after asking her nicely to stop for a sec :roll: :wink:

loudmouth

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:38 pm

wow never knew there where so many sirens fans in new england area nor did i know there where so many whelen fans too. How far are most of these sirens from cheshire Ct ? i was woundering since i be down in CT for chrismas and i might just take my own truck down so i can get some pics of the sirens. any ways i know marden used to have some t-bolts but i belave most are now long gone. and there was model 7 on a pole at a small vtfd up the street from my aunts house in chessire.
and i know there used to be some sirens for booth bay maine i dont know if there still around since it was quite a while ago.
and if any ones in the essex county are of mass or alont the seacost i glady show any one were some hidden sirens are. Nh has alot that arent just 3016 and 4008s which i do love tho.

~nick

3t22

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:39 pm

loudmouth wrote:wow never knew there where so many sirens fans in new england area nor did i know there where so many whelen fans too. How far are most of these sirens from cheshire Ct ? i was woundering since i be down in CT for chrismas and i might just take my own truck down so i can get some pics of the sirens. any ways i know marden used to have some t-bolts but i belave most are now long gone. and there was model 7 on a pole at a small vtfd up the street from my aunts house in chessire.
and i know there used to be some sirens for booth bay maine i dont know if there still around since it was quite a while ago.
and if any ones in the essex county are of mass or alont the seacost i glady show any one were some hidden sirens are. Nh has alot that arent just 3016 and 4008s which i do love tho.

~nick

The Millstone plant is in Waterford, which is about 50 miles from Cheshire (about a 45 minute drive, close to New London, and Groton), these sirens are in the process of being installed along their 10 mile EPZ. You may want to check Old Saybrook, I think they just installed a 2910 next to a 2016 going toward the Dock and Dine restaurant (there's a WS 2012 in their parking lot). As for Meriden's T-bolts most are still up, but inactive, same with Hartford's. If you go into Middlefield you'll see their 3 2016s, 2012, and 2008. They're tested at 6PM daily. If you head torwards Avon, check Simsbury for a 2750, at their FD, which is active. Unsure if they do a daily test. Also Glastonbury, just south of Hartford, just installed 2 2902s at station 1 and 2 (replacing a 5 at station 2 and a 5T at station 1, both were scrapped). They're tested daily at noon and for 1 minute on the 1st saturday of each month. (I'll post more about this system in a spereate post). If you need location directions PM me.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”