tachi88

ID Tag Restoration?

Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I couldn't find any topics relating to this issue so I started a new one.

When I was looking over the condition of the sheet metal on my T-bolt head, I noticed that the ID Tag had been painted over "Thank you city of Tucson!" I tried to remove the paint to the original tag, but it didn't turn out so well.

I know this isn't a big deal, but if there is a way to restore it I am willing to try.

Is there some sort of decal template or something to restore the tag?

Last edited by tachi88 on Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

You are lucky it is just paint. I forgot to take the ID tag off of my siren before having it sand blasted.

Westgate Thunderbolt

Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't know of anything you can do other than having the ID plate completely reproduced. I have a few of that exact ID plate that are in very good to like new condition that could be used as examples. If you found someone that can make good reproductions I would split the cost with you. I could use a few myself coming up soon.

Justin

tachi88

Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 am

TboltTX1 wrote:You are lucky it is just paint. I forgot to take the ID tag off of my siren before having it sand blasted.
Yeah I am glad I have noticed it now, I am actually getting everything ready for sandblasting.

And Westgate I am going to shop around town and see what people can do for me. If you can send me a scan or something to go off of would be cool.

I will let you know if I find anything.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am

If you or someone could re-create or scan another ID tag, I wonder if you could finish removing the paint, and have a vinyl sticker made to recreate the labels, with open spots for the stamped numbers.

tachi88

Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 am

weasel2htm wrote:If you or someone could re-create or scan another ID tag, I wonder if you could finish removing the paint, and have a vinyl sticker made to recreate the labels, with open spots for the stamped numbers.
Yeah I was thinking about that, or maybe print it out on a decal sheet.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 am

weasel2htm wrote:If you or someone could re-create or scan another ID tag, I wonder if you could finish removing the paint, and have a vinyl sticker made to recreate the labels, with open spots for the stamped numbers.
There's a place here in Dickson that does stuff like that. Extreme Signs is who they are. They're the guys who did all the decals and whatnot for all of my sirens, our vehicles, signs and other stuff. Their pricing for stuff like that is unbeatable.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

EL1998P71

Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a Federal sign and signal tag that is slightly better condition than your's. It will need alot of work in photoshop or other art program.
However I have a Federal Enterprises, INC tag that is near mint.

I can scan both if you like?
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:32 pm

An idea might be to use a scan of a good one, and photoshop out the numbers, and take it to Kinko's and ask for an all-weather decal. Then cut out the rectangles for the stampings, and just place the decal over the plate with the original number stampings showing through the holes.

I have done that for car ID plates with worn-off painted backgrounds, and also for antique radio dial plates. You need to get the right person at Kinko's though... It's not going to go so well if the person isn't interested in your project, or if they only speak enough English to say "May I help you", and "That will cost $_____".

The other method is to carefully pain the whole plate black, and use plain white paper on a flat object like a straight screwdriver, and carefully wipe the paint off the embossed lettering. Obviously that ONLY works on embossed tags; not screenprinted ones.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 am

It looks to me that the only way to get an acceptable result would be to follow Charles' plan.

I scanned the ID tag from my blower, but it is not in perfect condition. Using my drawing application, I tried to essentially build a tag from scratch on top of the prototype like I did with the 1970s FSC decal. The plate does not quite match the "oval" tool of my drawing application and the lettering is very close to, but apparently not quite Helvetica. Each letter has to be rotated and placed by hand.

If I could get a 300% or so scan of a good original, I could see what I can do.
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”