FedFan
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Barton1931

Muting a Model 2 for testing purpoes

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I know, I know; why mute the siren? Well, when I do Spring cleaning in the garage this year, I want to put the model 2 on the bench, and put new brushes and endcaps in. In an effort not to piss off the neighbors, what would be the best way to "mute" the siren, but still have the motor run? I also want to do this to see if the circuit breaker trips. I gotta get this done before New Year's Eve so a sound off goes off without a hitch.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I know someone has stuck one underneath a plastic 55-gal drum before in an attempt to muffle it, and it seems to have worked pretty well. If that method would be feasible for you, you may also want to try placing the siren on a rubber floor mat and then cover it with the drum, to cut down on the airflow into the drum. Those sirens are pretty hard to effectively muffle, since they take in air from both the top and bottom, and you can't exactly block off their intake supply. Also, if yours is a 240V model, running it on 120V while attempting to muffle it would also help greatly, and the brushes also seem to seat better at a slower motor speed. If it's a 120V model, there's not too much you can do to run it slower, unfortunately.
-Ian M.

Jim Z

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:28 pm

just cover the stator ports with tape. best to use some wide painter's tape or masking tape, and wrap it around. if air can't get through to be chopped, it can't make much noise.

FedFan
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I'll give both ideas a try, as I have supplies for both ideas here. Thanks for the tips!!

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Here's an idea. Close the garage door. :roll: :roll:
Who's going to hear it?
If you really want to cover it why hassle with a drum as big a 55 gallons? Just put a 5 gallon bucket over it.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

FedFan
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for the idea, but if the neighbors could hear my Federal Model A with the garage door closed, I can't imagine them not hearing the Model 2. If the garage were insulated and such it might make a difference, but it isn't. We'll get it figured out with the help of the Siren Board.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:46 pm

FedFan wrote:Thanks for the idea, but if the neighbors could hear my Federal Model A with the garage door closed, I can't imagine them not hearing the Model 2. If the garage were insulated and such it might make a difference, but it isn't. We'll get it figured out with the help of the Siren Board.

Can't you just remove the stator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MY3rZR9VtU
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

FedFan
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Looked at the video; thanks. Kinda hard to see, it's a little dark. At this point, I am considering covering the stator ports with tape or something. However, any idea is worth giving. I am logging all the ideas given,and will try them when I get the garage going in Spring. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks to all of you!

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm

thewoog34 wrote:Can't you just remove the stator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MY3rZR9VtU
No, doing such is a very bad idea due to it having no top-end support. The wobbling around could damage either the brushes or the commutator for starters, and the armature bars rubbing against the field is also not good for it. If he wants to muffle it, the best way is either covering it with a bucket or drum, or going the route Jim Z suggested with covering the outer diameter of the stator with tape, or even a ring of cardboard.
-Ian M.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 am

Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”