djscrizzle

Finally... a Federal 550AT video that isn't mine!

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 am

On June 7th a long track and particularly strong supercell thunderstorm developed near Agate, CO around 5:00 pm and tracked southward for 40 miles towards Calhan, CO and produced a large cone-shaped EF-2 tornado about 14 miles north of Calhan.

The second tornado was anti-cyclonic and was on the ground at approx 7:10PM east of the Paint Mines, about 2 1/2 miles southeast of Calhan proper. It lasted around 5 minutes and tracked over open terrain.

It's great to hear this ultra-rare siren is still roaring to life when danger is threatening. The approx distance from the location shown is around a quarter mile SW of the siren at Town Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jybp2j7a6JI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeYnrs3 ... re=related <--- DOPPLER as a chaser is driving past the siren.... SICKNESS!
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Trevor
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 pm

That doppler effect sounds FREAKING awesome!
Trevor
AirRaidSirens.com Moderator
[email protected]

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

That's one weird, but cool sounding siren...It sounds almost like there are two separate sirens.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

In the second video, the siren starts at 1:20 for those of you who don't want to search around.

That's a pretty freakin' awesome Doppler effect though. Also, I chuckled a little when the siren started to wind-down and the guy said "Thank you! I can hear myself think again!"
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

EL1998P71

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 am

That is AWESOME!!!
Love that sound.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

BadgerSiren

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:59 am

WOW! The windup at :50 in the first video?to die for! Neat to hear the 12 port side roar to life prominently over the 8 port side facing away from the mic. Really unique and awesome sound.

What a cool siren!
A resident of arguably the most siren-diverse county in history.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 am

I think this siren is cool cause it proves that lower-pitched sirens are more penetrating than high pitched sirens. Listen to most recordings to this siren; the 8 port side is dominant most of the time while the 12 port side is only really dominant while it is facing towards the microphone.

Not to mention it sounds really ominous and is very unique.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

djscrizzle

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:14 am

thewoog34 wrote:I think this siren is cool cause it proves that lower-pitched sirens are more penetrating than high pitched sirens. Listen to most recordings to this siren; the 8 port side is dominant most of the time while the 12 port side is only really dominant while it is facing towards the microphone.

Not to mention it sounds really ominous and is very unique.
Agreed... The wind-down at the 3 minute mark is being blown towards them by the wind, making it sound amazingly epic. More so than any activation while I lived there, test or otherwise!

The chaser's confusion about the siren sounding around that time emphasizes my point of NOT using an all-clear siren for severe weather. 2 rounds of 3-minutes of Attack spaced 5 minutes apart on that ol' Federal S&S 550 would be the ideal method in situations like the first video.

A second activation as the TOR touched down should have happened, but I wasn't around. Woulda been able to get 2-3 killer siren n TOR vids from the western fringes of Calhan had I been out there around 7pm that day.

I had golfball hail and a wall cloud here in COS that I was on top of at the same time this monster supercell was clearing Calhan.

Ironically, I drove up US24 thru Calhan towards Limon the next afternoon on unrelated biz, and 2 to 3 miles northeast of town was some heavy tree damage, and some light damage to a house n its barns. Nothing I noted was worse than high end EF-0 damage-wise from the anti-cyclonic TOR that occurred there.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

t-bolt82

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Great, great videos - siren sounds awesome as f**k! :D
Viva la Thunderbolt!

Return to “Videos and Media”