Hurricane 3T22

Where to look for old sirens?

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm

I've been trying to find a way to get an older, preferably rotational siren, but rather than pay a few hundred bucks that I don't have, if there were any Chicago area junkyards or something along those lines that anyone knows about, where i could look for and old siren, regardless of manufacturer. while I said Chicago area, that's just the most convenient. If anyone also knows of anywhere in middle Illinois, southern-to-middle Wisconsin, northern Indiana, or southwestern Michigan, please let me know!
Loud is good!

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Sorry to break it to you, but the best thing you can do is do some exploring and make phone calls. If you make phone calls and show interest you just might get lucky.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Crazywarriorman
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Come to Southern Illinois, I have a Thunderbolt you can buy.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Hurricane 3T22

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

How much are you looking for for that T-bolt?
Loud is good!

Rheems1

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:30 pm

I should make a sticky with this reply, but here goes... most likely you are not going to find some municipalty or junkyard that is just going to give you a siren.. especially not a rotational one since it is a larger siren and thus worth more in scrap value than say a Model 2. It happens on occasion but for the most part you are going to be laying money out for a siren. It is like buying a new car, if you go and buy a new car and decide you are going to keep your old one for whatever reason.. you aren't just going to give your old car to someone who be-bops up to your house and asks nicely. Same exact thing with old sirens that have been upgraded, I have said this a million times on here.. very rarely is someone just going to give you a siren because you have a nice smile or phone voice.

Hurricane 3T22

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm not expecting to get one for free, I already knew that. I'm mostly looking for one that might be cheap. I don't care if it's in poor condition, because I'd actually like to restore one. I'm really just looking for a place that might have one for less than $1000.
Loud is good!

MattDean1003

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 pm

You more than likely won't get one for cheap. As Dave said, they're not just going to be given away. It HAS happened on occasion but I know that you can expect to pay well upwards of 500 dollars for a "rotational" or even an omnidirectional siren, such as a 2T/3T22 and STH10.

Look on eBay, Model 2's and 5's are on there a pretty good bit. A Model 2 will be your best bet starting out as you do want to start out small-take it from some of the members on here who have jumped head first into restoring Thunderbolts.
James M. Dean

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Question: Where to look for old sirens?

Answer: My house...

Rick K

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:52 pm

holler wrote:Question: Where to look for old sirens?

Answer: My house...
Jeb and I, and our siren sanctuaries...

SirenMN

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:54 pm

I found out the hard way people don't just give up sirens. Even if they are just laying in a junk pile rotting away and they "plan" to put it up...

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”