Siren Man

Tornados hit New Orleans

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:46 am

My sis is in New Orleans going through medical school at Tulane. Tuesday morning at 3 30 am, 3 torndoes starting ripping through the town. My sister, up late studying, was going to bed when the walls starting shaking. Then a "horrible" noise started and her ears started to pop. Things got really bad and then it dissipated. Morning comes, and she described it as Katrina without the water. Widespread destruction. The house right next to them was completely whisked away, my sis's house somehow got out almost intact. The car parked next to hers got smashed by a fallen tree, but hers was ok, just some body damage and mud. This all happened with absolutely NO warning at all. Im sure her neighbors, now dead, are wishing that new orleans had an outdoor warning system. Theres a moral to this for all city officials, it pays to have a siren system no matter where you are. People were killed because they had no idea what was coming.

Brendan Ahern

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:58 am

It is true sirens are important, but its doubtful New Orleans will ever get them. They are in enough debt. For the most part its a very poor, midmanaged city. They cant even provide basic services to residents. And dont even get me started on Katrina. I dont understand how they werent prepared for that. The city is below sea level. So basically, its in a bowl, and is surrounded by soup. OK OK, gettin off track here. But seriously, lots of big cities just dont care. NY, LA, DC, Miami, etc, etc. No sirens in any of those cities.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”