TornadoSirenFan

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Thats cool that they are being swift about installing this system. i just wonder who is going to get the bid for this system. I am have a funny feeling that american signal might just win!

Mister_Penetrator

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:49 pm

TornadoSirenFan wrote:Thats cool that they are being swift about installing this system. i just wonder who is going to get the bid for this system. I am have a funny feeling that american signal might just win!
I agree, but I loved the demo footage of the he Whelen 2800 and Federal Modulator sitting side by side.

Jim_Ferer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:11 pm

TornadoSirenFan wrote:The thing that really gets me is any medium sized towns to the larger cities in Tornado alley that refuse to get tornado sirens! There are many towns in Texas like that, which makes no sense. A lot of times it comes down to money and laziness. Just like in one of the videos above all they are worried about is the cost and the maintence on the system. They have no problem buying and doing maintence on a police or fire truck, but a simple little siren they act like the whole world is coming to a end. I can assure you though, those residents in Floridia are not going to put up with it this time. My friends Grandmother lives there and they are having meetings weekly about getting those sirens put up quickly!
Have you ever been an elected official who has to make what he can out of a limited amount of money? How much death, injury and property damage is caused by fire and crime? Probably more than from tornadoes, taken over time.

In other words, don't be dismissive about these legitimate worries.

TornadoSirenFan

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:
TornadoSirenFan wrote:The thing that really gets me is any medium sized towns to the larger cities in Tornado alley that refuse to get tornado sirens! There are many towns in Texas like that, which makes no sense. A lot of times it comes down to money and laziness. Just like in one of the videos above all they are worried about is the cost and the maintence on the system. They have no problem buying and doing maintence on a police or fire truck, but a simple little siren they act like the whole world is coming to a end. I can assure you though, those residents in Floridia are not going to put up with it this time. My friends Grandmother lives there and they are having meetings weekly about getting those sirens put up quickly!
Have you ever been an elected official who has to make what he can out of a limited amount of money? How much death, injury and property damage is caused by fire and crime? Probably more than from tornadoes, taken over time.

In other words, don't be dismissive about these legitimate worries.

Nobody is being dismissive about anything but it is a comparision of what a city/county/state is putting into priority. Yes we all know that Fire and Crime are important daily facts of life. But nobody has any problemn when it is time to maintain one of those pieces of equipment, but when it come to something that sits on a pole and is exposed to all the elements, when it comes time to repair or maintain those, people have a fit. Thats what is being said here nothing else. THANKS!

jerrylovessirens

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:45 am

Heres a video of mine that I dont think anyone from here has ever seen. Its the only T-bolt recording I have ever done, its a bit "blarpy" and distorted, but it still captures the 'bolts powerful sound.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5137&hl=en

TornadoSirenFan

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 am

Cool video, It sounds like a ol grand daddy. What color is that thing?

jerrylovessirens

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Its a poorly-painted grey 'bolt, I have some better pics of it. Its a nice bolt, used to be here in Fond du Lac, but then it got moved out into the country. I sure miss the T-bolts that used to be in town. We had a good mix of 1000's and 1000T's, and one STH-10. It made for a scary tone during Tornado warnings, especially in the dark. I remember it most during the Oakfield Tornado, I was about six or seven, and getting my blankie from my bed before going in the basement, I rerember hearing the 1000 (of course single tone) "moontime" (my childhood slang or siren) blaring in the night with rain coming down hard. I have a couple other stories to share with those 'bolts.

Heres the pics of it...

TornadoSirenFan

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm

those are some cool pics. what are those slats on the pole, for climbing purposes?

AllSafe

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:11 pm

They aren't slats. They are climbing lugs.
Anyway, there is at least one gray Thunderbolt I know of here in Wichita; it's a first generation one.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

TornadoSirenFan

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:04 pm

douro20 wrote:They aren't slats. They are climbing lugs.
Anyway, there is at least one gray Thunderbolt I know of here in Wichita; it's a first generation one.
Excuse me, climbing lugs :roll:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”