Columbus

Enterprise AL - how close was siren to high school?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:58 am

I was wondering how close the nearest siren was to Enterprise High School?

How many sirens were in Enterprise, and were any knocked down or otherwise disabled by the recent tornado?

kswx29

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:39 pm

Inless anyone has been to and or lives in Enterprise how would we know?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Re: Enterprise AL - how close was siren to high school?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Columbus wrote:I was wondering how close the nearest siren was to Enterprise High School?
Are you getting at the point that no siren nearby would not have caused any deaths? If so, the school was well aware of the tornado due to faculty listening to a police scanner (though an All Hazards radio would be much more effective). As someone on the other board pointed out, most of the deaths were caused when the gym collapsed, due to some students wandering in there on their own.

TornadoSirenFan

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:01 am

I was down there this weekend and they a Whelen Vortex on campus between the football stadium and school. It stood up pretty well but very beat up by all the crap that hit it during the storm. The fin that was on back was ripped off. :cry:
Last edited by TornadoSirenFan on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Columbus

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:22 am

tboltboy wrote:Inless anyone has been to and or lives in Enterprise how would we know?
That's why I posted - I assumed somebody lived in or near Enterprise.

TornadoSirenFan

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:50 am

It was interesting, all the sirens(whelen vortex's) except two made it through the storm. One vortex, the head was ripped off completely leaving the rotator box and the pole. the other it snapped the wood pole like a twig and the siren flew about 100 yards away.

thunderbolt1003kid

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:40 am

TornadoSirenFan wrote:I was down there this weekend and they a Whelen Vortex on campus between the football stadium and school. It stood up pretty well but very beat up by all the crap that hit it during storm. the fin that was on back was ripped off. :cry:

you wouldn't happen have a picture of it. Would you? The Fins must be very fragile.

TornadoSirenFan

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 am

I took pictures with my piece of crap camera phone, and i wasnt that far but the picture made it seem like i was 2 miles away. :roll: the images i got are horrible, but i am going to again this weekend to help out some friends, hopefully i can get a better set of pictures for you guys. From what everyone is telling me that these sirens performed beautifully, but the only thing is the sirens were not going off at the time of the strike. :evil:

ThunderboltFreak

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:30 am

I live in Birmingham, AL. I wasn't aware that enterprise has sirens. :shock:
Assistant Store Manager at GameStop.

TornadoSirenFan

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Ya Enterprise(Cofee County) actually got those sirens not too long ago. I believe they have had them for about a year and half going on two years now. Ft Rucker also has some on base. Actually they got their sirens before Dothan got theirs. Most of the "wiregrass" area down there is all Whelen.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”