SirenMadness

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Great find, Dave!

I remember a Model 5 or a similar siren being turned on its side and spun through a chain, by a motor.

Robert, the siren shown does pull air in from the front of every projector.
~ Peter Radanovic

Rheems1

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:55 am

Strangely enough... that was also a Dave Fritz photo.... that was taken at the South Buffalo Township Fire Department in Butler County, Pa. The horn in Lewistown is probably the Diaphone from the Fame Fire Department, I am good friends with people in Lewistown and have someone who recorded the Diaphone at a Fire Department Funeral and have already talked to him about getting the audio off of the video.

Fritz

MattDean1003

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:01 am

If that's a darley dual head, and the siren that I took a pic of is also a darley dual head, how come in this picture, the horns are solid with the ports for the rotor and stator hidden, but in MY picture, the ports are clearly visible as part of the horn assembly itself, somewhat like a Carters siren?
James M. Dean

Robert Gift

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Rheems1 wrote:Strangely enough... that was also a Dave Fritz photo.... that was taken at the South Buffalo Township Fire Department in Butler County, Pa. The horn in Lewistown is probably the Diaphone from the Fame Fire Department, I am good friends with people in Lewistown and have someone who recorded the Diaphone at a Fire Department Funeral and have already talked to him about getting the audio off of the video.

Fritz
Would be wonderful to hear it after all these years - late 50s to early 60s.

It would sound: "Beeeeeeeeee.....aaRUUUgah", "beeeeeeee......aaRUUUgah".......... "aaRUUUgah".

I have no idea why it sounded as it did. Was the "aaRUUUgah" a release of residual pressure after the blast? Was the third one an echo?

I called Lewistown Chamber of Commerce, and the woman says that diaphone still operates as their curfew!

That bug-eyed crossing signal was on Depot? Street, I believe.

Since dual-axle motors are VERY expensive and rare, I can understand
replacing one with a regular motor. But couldn't they get the original motor rewound?

OK, WHO KNOCKED MY KARMA FROM -113 TO -91, ruining a record low?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”