3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:44 am

SirenMadness wrote:I think that "Whelen" is pronounced as "whee-lynn," up north.
My aunt works for Whelen in the vehicle lights and siren division (she's an assembler). The correct pronounication is "whee-lyn" and they are quick to correct you if you pronounce it "waylen" as my cousin found out when he worked there one summer in the shipping and reciving area.

Justin

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:55 am

While I see a lot of merit in an electronic system, I think a mechanical siren would be better as they're known to be louder and also are less confusing.

Three signals, three threats. Voice messages become too complex, especially when the sound distorted, like most videos seem to prove; though I have not heard an actual system in person.

RedAlpha

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:14 pm

3t22 wrote:
SirenMadness wrote:I think that "Whelen" is pronounced as "whee-lynn," up north.
My aunt works for Whelen in the vehicle lights and siren division (she's an assembler). The correct pronounication is "whee-lyn" and they are quick to correct you if you pronounce it "waylen" as my cousin found out when he worked there one summer in the shipping and reciving area.
Strange, I always thought it was "Well-in", thats how I always say it.

thunderbolt1003kid

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:59 am

RedAlpha wrote:
3t22 wrote:
Strange, I always thought it was "Well-in", thats how I always say it.
same here

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 am

This was discussed throughly on the eLightbars.org board a few years ago. You can also hear NASCAR announcers say it when they talk about Whelen sponsorships. Its definitely pronounced "Whee-len".

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”