4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Re: Indianapolis Siren System

Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 am

Do you know where and what the ones at the college are, and when they are tested?
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

PugetSoundStormWatch
YouTube Username: MiltonWATech99

Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 am

4J25 wrote:Do you know where and what the ones at the college are, and when they are tested?
Isn't there a Sentry 3V8 at a college in Indy?
22-year-old Seattle native. Green River College.
I like DJ equipment, Weather Radios (23 in my collection), Fire Alarms, and Sirens.
Future Meteorologist! Go Hawks!

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Thu May 30, 2013 3:29 am

Marian college has 2 3V8's, one towards the front of campus and one towards the rear. I believe one is building mounted and the other is pole mounted. The campus is roughly bordered by Kessler Blvd North Dr. to the west, 30th St. to the south, Cold Spring Rd. to the East, and I65 to the North. Not sure when they are tested.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 11.25.53 PM.png

bmeiser

Thu May 30, 2013 3:45 am

coppercarl wrote:
cmoore wrote:
coppercarl wrote:I've got you covered.

Here is a map of the current Marion County system.
http://goo.gl/maps/ycSgv

Here is also a map of the old system, which was completely overhauled in 2009ish.
http://goo.gl/maps/XxG8
Regarding the old system map,the ones that were noted "still standing but deactivated" were standing as of 2011 correct?
The only reason I put those there was really as notes to myself for future trips up there. But to answer your question, I put that if I could see the siren in the updated street view and/or if I could see it from the 45 degree angle view.
I know for a fact that this one is gone: http://goo.gl/maps/QawW0
This one is still there as of 5/28/13: http://goo.gl/maps/JGhsj
This one is still there as of about this time last year: http://goo.gl/maps/WzWyw
I am not sure about the others you have listed.

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

There is also another Model 5 you can add to your old Indianapolis system map Ian. 923 W. 54th St., Rocky Ripple IN, is where the old Rocky Ripple VFD used to be. The FD is now defunct and is covered by IFD. The Model 5 was roof mounted and red, I feel that it was most likely not part of the system. Heck it may even have predated the original system. However it was another Indy siren. After the FD was disbanded, the siren was eventually removed.
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 am

Nice to see Marion County / Indy have such good coverage. If only every county had that kind of coverage.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

bmeiser

Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 pm

The coverage isn't bad, but it could still be improved some places namely downtown and in some of the northern and southern townships. Also, I think we could benefit from some smaller or even voice-capable sirens in public places such as the Speedway, IUPUI, and Victory Field. Those places don't have sirens very close by. I think Matt Hackler's ideal system would have an additional 50-some sirens in the county.

Somebody asked about older DC's in the system earlier. We have every generation of 2001 in the system other than roundbacks. In fact, the closest siren to my work is a second generation SRN with the cone in the middle, which some call the DC.

cmoore

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:33 pm

bmeiser wrote:The coverage isn't bad, but it could still be improved some places namely downtown and in some of the northern and southern townships. Also, I think we could benefit from some smaller or even voice-capable sirens in public places such as the Speedway, IUPUI, and Victory Field. Those places don't have sirens very close by. I think Matt Hackler's ideal system would have an additional 50-some sirens in the county.

Somebody asked about older DC's in the system earlier. We have every generation of 2001 in the system other than roundbacks. In fact, the closest siren to my work is a second generation SRN with the cone in the middle, which some call the DC.

I agree. We could have kept some Model 5s and 7s had retro fitting not cost so much. We could use some Eclipses in those places like Speedway, Victory Field, Broad Ripple, Downtown, etc or even some Mods. But overall, I wish we could still have some of those CD sirens. The ambience is no where near as good as it was back then, now.
Naptown Sirens

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 am

I know that at least one of the sirens at Marian is in fact a 5V. I have pictures of these sirens somewhere on my photobucket. They are roof mounted units. I don't remember if the other was a 5V, or a 3V8.
-The Princess

BOB
Read Only
YouTube Username: BOB!_da_siren_girl

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:20 pm

FYI guys, there is a Model 5 STILL STANDING. It is at an old volunteer fire station now known as The Fire Escape over at Broadway St. and Pendelton Pike. It is not operational as there is a 2001-SRN just down the road. Also, does anybody know where the 2 SD-10s were located at? I've looked all over Google Maps, but I can't seem to find them.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”