Corvallis, Oregon Thunderbolt Heads to the Coast

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:22 am

The Corvallis Thunderbolt was moved to Astoria this weekend:

http://www.democratherald.com/articles/ ... _siren.txt

Complete with a picture, even.

Dillon

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 am

cool i've seen it before
Let the sirens sound for the remembrence of those who lost thier lives at virginia tech 4/16/07. R.I.P

Daniel

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:30 am

Astoria used to have some old siren downtown with a very low tone that would sound at noon. I could never find the thing.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

I called the Clastop county EM guy after the original article appeared about that siren and told him about what problems they might run into if they install it. Since those jerks rigged the thing to run for about 10 minutes 2 times I told him that the rotator might have some problems. He was glad to get the info. I told him that they should go through the thing thoroughly before it's installed and that the rotator gear reducer and gear may have been damaged since the thing sat for 20+ years without any service before those guys set the thing off twice. I also told him about all the usual T-bolt items that should be replaced before putting one back into service. I hope that thing isn't ruined and they can get many more years of service out of the old pig. :wink:

One of the guys who rigged the thing to go off e-mailed me about it. He actually wanted to put a piece on my site about it. They broke into an area of the building that the siren was on to access the RCM panels and they actually reconnected the power to the thing to set it off.

StonedChipmunk

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Wow, I was wondering what they'd do to that thing...

Anyways, since it's probably stone-cold dead, it will take a while to fix it up. Probably would have been easier to fix it on the ground, but...

Now come on people, you know you would have done the same thing. Well, I would. I'd sound that Tbolt on Belvoir Pharmacy. (I mean, come on... there's got to be a control box somewhere in the back!) I wouldn't break in, though.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”