SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Got Busted Today

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:43 pm

I took the bus over to Chino's California Institution for Men State Prison this morning to videotape their noon siren test (They test every 1st Friday of the month at 12 noon) I was headed to a Do it Best Hardware nearby anyway so I decided to make it one trip. After picking up some stuff at the hardware store, I headed up to the prison fence to record the test. Just as the Federal 2001 went off, a police officer stops his car next to me, :shock: searches me, and starts asking me why I was photographing the prison. I told him about this site and what I was doing and he was cool about it but then told me that the prison security guards were suspicious about seeing me up by the fence with a camera. A few minuites later, two guards pulled up and questioned me some more then told me that I wasn't supposed to be photographing the place unless I had permission. They made me delete all the pics of the prison and my video before letting me go. :x

So no video today as I had planned. The next test is on July 7 but I'll have to find some out of the way place so I guess all you'll hear is the sirens but won't see anything rotating.

SirenMadness

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:03 pm

It's sad that they've deleted your video. I haven't seen many videos of 2001-series sirens going off. :|

But what is funny is that you got busted for taping their siren today, and I got busted yesterday for hanging around the railway-yard! :lol: A hundred-twenty Dollars next time!
~ Peter Radanovic

TBOLT233

Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:38 am

Ouch! It's too bad they deleted the pics and video. :(

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:12 am

Too bad also if you were not on prison property and it's not a gonernemnt facility that they overzealously extended their powers unless California has stricter laws than in Florida or Missouri.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:07 am

Don't get me started on ranting about frivolous and meaningless California laws, but I am glad it wasn't ME who got "caught". I would have laid into the guards, and probably be in big trouble for doing so at this moment.

I have a good mind to march out to Chino with a HUGE camera and an elaborate audio recording setup, and arrange a camp in a suitable place in time for the next test in July. That is, with a certain retired ACLU attorney and former chapter president in the front seat (normally I hate the ACLU, but in this case I could use them, and this one happens to be a friend). Public property belongs to the public, last time I checked. And the siren test is for the ultimate benefit of the public. PUBLIC, I say!

Charles

LtKernelPanic

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:50 am

In a way I can't blame them but that still sucks. That's one reason I've been leary of taking photos/videos of the siren that's a few blocks from my house. (That plus I lack the proper hearing protection) Anyhow... Could coontact the prison and get permisson? Maybe if you explained what you want to do they could get you somewhere to get good shots of the siren. If you offer to allow them to send someone with you so they can see you're really shooting the siren and not trying to take pics to help bust someone out it may make them more likely to grant your request.

SirenMadness

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:13 pm

It depends. The siren is important, you'd need much more than talking it all over with them. It will take allot of explaining for such a business to accept a total stranger's requests; they're afraid of terrorism.
~ Peter Radanovic

Jim_Ferer

It would happen anywhere

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Any prison anywhere would get excited if you were up at their fence taking pictures, and I believe the law allows restrictions. Hell, in New York you can't take pictures of any of the bridges from up close. You can't even take a boat near any of the piers, either. The same thing is true of any other public place where security is an issue.

The solution I didn't hear mentioned is calling the prison and telling them what you want to do and why, and getting permission to tape the test. If you show them the file afterwards to show there's nothing in the background or foreground that would help plan an escape or something, you might get that permission. Telling people up front what you want to do is usually the best.

kswx29

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:16 am

lol, i can relate, i was resently in Leavenwoth, KS home to the Ft.Leavenworth and the United States Penetenary and i was taking a video and sure enough Leavenworth County Sherrif stoped me and my aunt and did the same thing...but i was just wanting a picture.

Archon

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:41 am

I took a picture in front of Wis State Prision in Sturtavent WI A 2001 right across the street. Nobody stopped me. But than I had the prision behind me when I took the picture. And lost the picture so I got to go and get it again. I did get questioned in Darien IL because the Hurricane was right next to the cities pumping station.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”