FirstSiren2T22
YouTube Username: MarcBookPro

KCBD (Lubbock) - Residents Concerned Over Lack of Sirens

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:05 am

Not really any siren videos to speak of in this article/video. But I found it very interesting as I'll be moving to Lubbock in August or September. The councilman sounds like he's willing to get more sirens if that's what the citizens want.

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=6341734

Lubbock does have Thunderbolts, but I am unaware whether or not they are working currently. There is also an STH-10 on the Texas Tech campus which is probably still in service. Surrounding suburbs also have working sirens of their own.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:33 am

You are moving to Lubbock?

Wow I'm only 35 miles from Lubbock.

Yes, I saw that last night on TV. Thanks for finding it on their website, as I was looking for it last night.

The Lubbock Thunderbolts are not in service and/or probably not operational. I would imagine silence had gotten the best of them in the 70s or 80s. That is, the T-bolts that have not been scrapped. I'm gonna see about getting a blower from them.
Last edited by Trey on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hacksaw

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:33 am

The "Code Red" (reverse 911?) system there will only take an hour to reach 60,000 residents.

That statistic speaks for itself!

FirstSiren2T22
YouTube Username: MarcBookPro

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:03 am

trafficsignals4ever wrote:You are moving to Lubbock?
Yep. I'm attending Texas Tech in the fall. I spent the weekend in Lubbock (with the snow) and it was really nice. I had been there before, but this time it really grew on me.

It would be nice to see them purchase some sirens. Many (if not all) surrounding towns have them. Whelens would be nice.

AllSafe

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:08 am

An hour to reach 60,000 residents? That won't work.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

kswx29

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:21 am

I just love how the first word out of all these EM's mouth is "Media, or NOAA Weather Radios" How many kids and adults do you know carry around a Weather Radio or a hand held TV? What about all of those people outside! I do admit during tornado watches i listen for the Model 5 up the street to start blaring but it isn't my main source of Warning while I'm at home. But if i was down at the park or something i would want to know if a storm was coming and not have to truck around all these batteries and a handheld TV just for warning.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Trey

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:00 am

Here is the thing nobody understands....listen...

Lubbock is run by literal IDIOTS. They don't make much sense in what they do. They are installing red light cameras for profit....a guy resigned because that and an affair up there in the city council...go figure.

C. Bryant

Reverse 911

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 am

And to think in Long Beach , Calif. they had the nerve to say they could go to a high rate reverse 911 mode and dial us all up in about one hour ! Shure over 400,000 population ..........

:shock: Thanks for the 60,000 thousand figure
input, I have been waiting to read on the Forum some real figures on Reverse 911 .

Save and Restore your old T- Bolts if possible . Then add on to the system.

Trey

Re: Reverse 911

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:29 pm

C. Bryant wrote:And to think in Long Beach , Calif. they had the nerve to say they could go to a high rate reverse 911 mode and dial us all up in about one hour ! Shure over 400,000 population ..........

input, I have been waiting to read on the Forum some real figures on Reverse 911 .

About 80% of Lubbock's T-bolts have been scrapped over the years. :cry:

Skip Goulet

Re: Reverse 911

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:00 pm

trafficsignals4ever wrote:
C. Bryant wrote:And to think in Long Beach , Calif. they had the nerve to say they could go to a high rate reverse 911 mode and dial us all up in about one hour ! Shure over 400,000 population ..........

About 80% of Lubbock's T-bolts have been scrapped over the years. :cry:
Ross; I'm not surprised that Lubbock has scrapped most of their T-Bolts. They have not been used since the big tornado on May 11,1970 (I was there!). Back then the sirens were all controlled at the old Central Fire Station at 6th & Ave. K. That night the EOC pussy-footed around and drug their feet about sounding the sirens because they thought that Lubbock couldn't get hit. The tornado touched down about 9 p.m. and hit the Central Fire Station just as the dispatcher was reaching to hit the sirens. Each siren had to be armed manually and then a single button pressed to hit them all at once. The dispatch center was all glassed-in back then and a window blew hitting the dispatcher in the eye and knocking him to the floor before he could hit the siren switch. They've never been used again since. The only working siren in Lubbock that I'm aware of is the big old Model 5 on top of the Chemistry Bldg (it used to be in the west bell tower of the Ad Bldg.) on the Tech campus. It has been used a number of times over the years. One time when I lived across from campus at University Plaza, one of the Tech PD dispatchers acidentally activated the siren when it was still in the AD Bldg. It ran for over an hour before anyone could figure out now to shut the blasted thing off!

Here in Midland, they went to an electronic siren system a few years ago that is absolutely terrible. The warning system is only a hi-lo sound, along with Westminster chimes and voice messages. Really crude!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”