lkreykes

Re: Sirens in Michigan

Mon May 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Clare & Isabella Counties both have Whelen systems (15 and 29, respectively). Bay City has 2001s and 2 Mods. Saginaw has 2001s and 2 508s.
im scared

AST128_RyanK

Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 pm

lkreykes wrote:Clare & Isabella Counties both have Whelen systems (15 and 29, respectively). Bay City has 2001s and 2 Mods. Saginaw has 2001s and 2 508s.
Saginaw has 508s? Where at?

lkreykes

Tue May 17, 2016 2:06 am

AST128_RyanK wrote:
lkreykes wrote:Clare & Isabella Counties both have Whelen systems (15 and 29, respectively). Bay City has 2001s and 2 Mods. Saginaw has 2001s and 2 508s.
There are 2 in Carrollton Twp., not sure if that is considered actually in Saginaw or not though haha. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
im scared

lkreykes

Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 am

To echo what was previously said about Cadillac, there are two SD-10s and a 2T22 there. Alpena has three T-128s and a 2001. There are 4ish 1212s in Traverse City, and STH-10s and Model 2/3/5/7s all over the northern part of the state's fire departments. I started a map of sirens in northern MI: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
im scared

r4tbolts

Tue May 17, 2016 12:29 pm

RE: Marshall. The T-bolt is downtown behind Fire Station. The only XT22 I can recall was Near McDonalds on the West City Limits and it was replaced with a 2001. The used to be a T-bolt out by the Truck Stop on 94 which was also replaced by a 2001. Another T-bolt (might have been replaced) could be seen going south on I-69 a couple of miles south of 94, the T-bolt could be seen when the leaves were off the trees. The T-bolt was to the West of I-69. Finally, in the SE part of Marshall an older dual head siren was replaced with a 2001. The last I looked at Google maps (in the past year) the T-bolt is still behind the Fire Station.

Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Mattawan in Van Buren County has a pair of EOWS 115's that do noon blasts every day. One is located at Root Street and Root Road and can be seen off of I-94, while the other one is at a library off of Front Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyjLyRehbhw
Here's my video of the Root Street and Root Road one doing a Noon Blast.
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

AST128_RyanK

Wed May 18, 2016 1:11 am

lkreykes wrote:
AST128_RyanK wrote:
There are 2 in Carrollton Twp., not sure if that is considered actually in Saginaw or not though haha. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
I believe the townships operate seperately. Although I'm not sure. I know that other areas in Saginaw County have sirens though.

I see you also have no idea what siren is at city hall. I've checked Google Maps and had no success. The city says there is one there though. Any theorys as to what it might be? Without a siren there, there would be a huge coverage gap.
lkreykes wrote:To echo what was previously said about Cadillac, there are two SD-10s and a 2T22 there. Alpena has three T-128s and a 2001. There are 4ish 1212s in Traverse City, and STH-10s and Model 2/3/5/7s all over the northern part of the state's fire departments. I started a map of sirens in northern MI: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
All these years spending time Up North in the next county over from Alpena in Atlanta (Montmorency) I never even entertained the thought of them having sirens, let alone T-128s and a active system.

I can tell you though that the TC system is inactive, from an article I read the city said they had no sirens and they would rufuse to purchase any, saying others methods of notification are more benefital and effective.

The Federal Models I can agree on, they are everywhere. The fire dept right across the street from my grandparents house in Higgins Lake has a Darley Model 5/7. My grandfather says it was used for tornado warnings, although I don't know if it is still active.

lkreykes

Wed May 18, 2016 4:26 am

I'd assume that it's just another 2001 but on their website they have it listed as not being on the county's system and rather is operated manually so I have no idea. One of the 1212s in TC is still active and is tested annually in the fall, but the remaining 3+ have been decommissioned. I actually live in the TC area, maybe I should talk to the EMA about what they plan to do with them....
im scared

AST128_RyanK

Wed May 18, 2016 12:40 pm

lkreykes wrote:I'd assume that it's just another 2001 but on their website they have it listed as not being on the county's system and rather is operated manually so I have no idea. One of the 1212s in TC is still active and is tested annually in the fall, but the remaining 3+ have been decommissioned. I actually live in the TC area, maybe I should talk to the EMA about what they plan to do with them....
I remember that there use to be a Nuclear Plant near TC so I'm guessing they are a remnant of the old system.

lkreykes

Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm

AST128_RyanK wrote: I remember that there use to be a Nuclear Plant near TC so I'm guessing they are a remnant of the old system.
There was never a NPP here, nor could there ever be unfortunately. The people around here have shut down every single power producing plant in town. We used to have a coal plant and 3 hydroelectric dams; all of which have been decommissioned. The nearest nuclear site would've been in Petoskey I believe. TC's last 1212 is used for flood warnings in the Boardman River Valley, and the three inactive 1212s were used for the same thing until they decommissioned the three hydroelectric dams which are also currently in the process of being removed, so you'd think they'd leave them active in case of a mishap.
Last edited by lkreykes on Wed May 18, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im scared

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”