AllSafe

Sat May 05, 2007 2:34 am

The guy designs organ pipes for a living. Reading his work, he sounds like he's pretty well versed in physics. His "toroidal whistle" design is based on organ pipe technology.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue May 08, 2007 1:58 am

This guy is a member of out sister Horn & Whistle board (also run by Adam). He has posted some info there about the whistle. Go check it out!

http://www.hornwhistleboard.com

Robert Gift

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:30 pm

AllSafe wrote:"Toto, ich habe das Gef?hl, da? wir nicht mehr in Kansas sind!"
How did you derive that doppel B?

AllSafe

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Robert Gift, A&A wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry, that's how I found the quote; Ill drop it.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

AllAmericanFE
YouTube Username: AllAmericanFE

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:31 am

AllSafe wrote:
Robert Gift, A&A wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry, that's how I found the quote; Ill drop it.
Its spelled "dass" not "das". Dass means that while das means the.

Daniel

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:18 am

Robert Gift wrote:

The "?" is the "ess-zett," used under certain grammatical conditions to replace "ss." On most American computers, you type ALT-0223. There is no lower case, and it is not used by German speakers in Switzerland.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

acoustics101

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm

The operating pressure is a mere 15 PSIG! You can find all of the information you need to build one at my research website at http://rjweisen.50megs.com

I also moderate the group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/steam-whistles There are interactive Excel design spreadsheets that are available in our files for the use of all members. As a member of this group you will learn that it is scaling that determines the output of a whistle and the combination of scaling and slit width that determines its operating pressure.

Traditional steam whistles were simply designed to suit the high boiler pressures by using choked flows, narrow slit widths and cutups above that of unity to prevent them from overblowing. We can now design whistles of far higher output and efficiency than the whistles of the steam era.

Daniel wrote:That is the most impressive whistle I've ever heard! I want to build one. What kind of pressure does that require? Would it be more or less efficient on steam?
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 pm

If this is in reference to the polar pattern of US Patent 4429656, it is simply the polar pattern of a 5/8 wavelength ring radiator, which this virtual large phased array (toroidal) whistle essentially is. I call it the Ultrawhistle, since it is equivalent to 28 conventional cylindrical whistles in one. It is the whistle shown in my Youtube video.

In my later patent 4686928 I inverted the toroid and blew it from its inner edge. In so doing I also had to raise the cutup from 33.3% to 40% to preserve a radiating mouth area of unity. This allows the whistle to fully blow using 25% less air or steam consumption. I also had to add a central phasing plug to maximize radiation efficiency into the throat of the 45" horn. This is the same principle used in a number of loudspeaker drivers.

By loading this whistle driver with a horn of di = 13 dB allows it to produce an additional 10 dB output on axis over that of my earlier Ultrawhistle. I call the latter patent my Dynawhistle.

Daniel wrote:
Robert Gift wrote:

The "?" is the "ess-zett," used under certain grammatical conditions to replace "ss." On most American computers, you type ALT-0223. There is no lower case, and it is not used by German speakers in Switzerland.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 pm

It's really a whistle, as it uses a resonant air column rather than chopped air as in a siren. It's not of your usual cylindrical design, but a toroidal design, which acts as a large virtual phased array of about 30 steam whistles! This in turn drives a horn for more directivity and 10 dB greater output than my original toroidal whistle Patent 4429656. Being of inverted toroidal design, it also uses 25% less air flow than my earlier patent to fully drive it.

This earlier patent used 15 PSIG at 1800 SCFM to produce a frequency of 430 Hz with a 70 db radius of 2.5 miles! The inverted, horn loaded version became US patent 4686928 and has a 70 dB radius of up to 4 miles (the 60 dB radius of the former design) using only 15 PSIG at 1350 SCFM! That's 50 square miles of coverage from a single unit! That translates to about 100 HP driving a single stage rotary screw compressor, which further translates to about 2 HP/square mile.

SirenMadness wrote:I think that the whistle is a compressed-air siren.

Richard Weisenberger

Robert Gift

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Welcome!

Like your hearing protection sign. It should be required that I post one next to my piano, and also display one when playing organ at any church.

Thank you for the details about your excellent efficient design.
Now to make a two-toned version! Minor third would be nice to produce a good low resultant!
Athough a major third would occur naturally in the harmonic series.

(I was able to voice a quintadena pipe with a VERY prominent 5th.
Was the most sour-sounding quintadena I had ever heard!)
Could you accomplish such an harmonic content with the toroidal whistle?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”