BOB
Read Only
YouTube Username: BOB!_da_siren_girl

Siren Policies

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:06 pm

I apologize if there is already a thread on this. Here is the official place were you can post what your county's siren policy is. This is Marion County, IN's policy: For a while, the sirens were tested every Friday at 11:00 EST for 50 seconds of Alert, and were sounded for 3 minutes of Alert during a Severe Thunderstorm Warning with a Tornado Watch. Since the new policy in July of 2011, the sirens are now tested just on the first Friday of the month, and are sounded ONLY during Tornado Warnings

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Re: Siren Policies

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:05 am

Ours only go off for thunderstorms. 2 cycles of attack, 8 on 4 off. When the weather clears, the same signal sounds
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:04 am

Vanderburgh County IN tests every Friday at noon with about 20 seconds of alert followed by two cycles of attack. The sirens are sounded for Thunderstorm Warnings and Tornado warnings in alert. They typically sound off every 10-15 minutes for 3 minute cycles. There have been a few instances however that they have gone off in attack for a warning instead.
Ian Tate
Facebook

r4tbolts

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Jackson County, MI. Tests are first Saturday of the month at noon or shortly after in one minute of alert. Sirens are sounded for Tornado Warnings and Severe T-storm Warnings if winds are excess of 70 MPH. Sirens activated usually in alert for 3 minutes (I have heard them go off in attack mode a couple of times however). County Sheriff runs EMA and sirens are activated from EMA or the County 911 Center.

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:53 pm

St Louis County MO activates for tornado warnings for 3 to 5 minutes .Any additional activations come at the discretion of EMA or Police Chief. Also sometimes activated for adjacent county warnings if the storms path poses an eventual threat to St Louis County. St Louis city activates for 3 to 5 minutes for tornado warnings and will on occasion sound repeatedly if officials feel the threat is warrants it. St Charles County activates for 3 to 5 minutes for tornado warnings.All are activated in alert mode with St Louis city using a prerecorded voice message. Arnold Missouri activates whenever the hell they please for 2 minutes of alert with voice messages. Usually during tornado warnings. Sometimes they take their sweet time turning them on. Northwest Jefferson county consists of me yelling during tornado warnings "Mother nature is coming and she hates you" for 3 to 5 minutes or until my wife threatens to divorce me whichever comes first.

lkreykes

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:23 pm

Isabella County, MI tests every first Thursday of the month at 3:00 pm weather permitting in alert & air horn. Alert is used for tornado warnings, chemical emergencies, or anything that requires people to take shelter. Air horn is used to indicate "all clear". Both functions will sound for 3 minutes.

Nearby Clare County uses the exact same testing procedure as Isabella Co., but their website lists them also using the attack tone (not for tests) although it is not listed what attack is used for.
Last edited by lkreykes on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 am

These are the policies for the individual counties near me:

Milwaukee County, WI is tested on the 2nd Wednesday @ Noon (Year Round) weather permitting and the signals are random meaning you never know what signals are out. It could be anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes of alert, or maybe roughly 1 minute of alert, and between 3 and 6 cycles of attack. But besides testing they're only activated for tornado warnings with 3 minutes of alert.

Dane County, WI is tested the 1st Wednesday @ Noon (March - November) weather permitting with a 3 minute alert for testing and only activated for Tornado Warnings also with a 3 minute alert.

Jefferson County, WI is tested the 1st Wednesday @ 11:00 (Year Round) weather permitting with a 3 minute alert for tested and activated for Tornado Warnings AND Severe Thunderstorm Warnings with a 3 minute alert.

Waukesha County, WI has different test times for each municipality (half of them are Wednesdays @ 2:00 for the spring/summer months) but besides testing, they're activated only for Tornado Warnings with a 3 minute alert.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:37 am

Basically all of Illinois tests on the first Tuesday at 10:00AM, but there are other cites that test differently here are a few that I know of:
1. Tinley Park, first Tuesday, 10:30AM. 3 minute alert, 3 minute attack.
2. Rosemont , every Monday, 6:00PM. 1 minute alert and voice.
3. Marseilles, every Monday, 6:00PM. 5 cycle attack.
(Please note, there are more than likely more, but these are the ones that I know)
Sandwich and Bensenville both test at 10:00, but I thought it was worth noting that they do a 1 minute alert, and a 1 minute attack. Toluca used to do a 3 minute statewide test then a 1 minute citywide test on the first Tuesday, but since I went there last summer, that stopped happening. They still test at 10:00AM, though.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 am

coppercarl wrote:Vanderburgh County IN tests every Friday at noon with about 20 seconds of alert followed by two cycles of attack. The sirens are sounded for Thunderstorm Warnings and Tornado warnings in alert. They typically sound off every 10-15 minutes for 3 minute cycles. There have been a few instances however that they have gone off in attack for a warning instead.
I didn't think to add surrounding counties

Posey County IN tests every Wednesday at 1:00 pm. Their 10V2T's and Model 5 in Mt.Vernon sound off in 3 minutes of attack while the 10V in Mt.Vernon as well as the Whelen system the rest of the county has sound in 3 minutes of alert. Their warning procedure is identical to Vanderburgh County and the sirens sound the same tones as their tests.

Warrick County IN also sounds for the same warnings as Vanderburgh. Their sirens are tested every Saturday at 1:00 pm (when they remember to test) for around 30 seconds in alert.

Gibson County follows the same warning procedures. Their sirens are tests every Friday at noon regardless of the weather in 3 minutes of alert.

Finally, Henderson County Ky. They use the same warning procedures as well. Their sirens are tested every Friday at noon for 30 seconds to a minute in alert. However, sometimes some of the 2001's they have do a full 3 minutes blast while all of the older sirens and the RM-130's shut off like normal. I'm not sure if it's a malfunction or they pick randoms ones to continue to sound off.
Ian Tate
Facebook

floor-a-matic
YouTube Username: electrolux1205

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

In OH:
Lucas Co 1st Friday of Month at noon 1 minute Alert
Wood Co 1st Saturday of Month at 10AM some towns test 50 sec Alert; a few test 2-3 min Attack
Seneca Co 1st Sat of month at 11AM 3 min Alert
Sandusky Co 1st Sat of month at noon 3 min Alert; sometimes also 3 min Attack after Alert
Hancock Co 1st Monday of month at 10AM 3 min Alert

In TX:
As of Jan 2016, Webb Co NOW tests on 1st & last Thrusday of EVERY month at 1PM--in Laredo (all of their sirens are 2001s)--NOT all of their 2001s sound the same signal; for example one 2001 sounding a full 3 min of Alert, another nearby 2001 sounding 1+1+1 (1 min Alert, 1 min Fast Wail & 1 min Wail; 30 second break between cycle or no break at all) & another 2001 sounding only 1-2 cycles 30 second Wail. I know the roundback 2001DC that used to be on the old Mercy Hospital's rooftop sounded 1 min Steady & 1 min Wail; it has now been replaced by a 2001-130 mounted on a cell phone tower nearby. I am not sure if the new 2001-130 by the old Mercy Hospital will be tested the same way as when the old roundback was there? That 130 still doesn't have power connected yet; the roundback has been gone for a while before the 2001-130 was installed which was back in November 2015. All of Laredo's sirens (FS 2001DC, SRN, SRNB, 130 & Equinox) are powered by AC/DC (AC rectifier + 48VDC batteries)

I don't know if the 2001s are tested thru AC current only, DC current only or both AC/DC?

Sounds 3 min ALERT (Steady) in all areas for tornado warnigs; 3 min ATTACK (Wail) for national emergencies (air raid, nuclear/terrorist); unknown signal/duration for chemical emergency? However, Webb Co, TX will now also sound during Severe Thunderstorm Warnings (only if winds exceed 70MPH and/or during a Tornado Watch) also 3 Min ALERT

btw, the 2001SRN (hard to tell if that SRN is a 3rd or 4th generation) located by Uniroyal Dr & I35 also got replaced by a new 2001-130 & the SRNB located at McPherson & Del Mar also replaced by a 2001-130 (See topic: 2001s replaced by 2001s?)
https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewto ... 1s#p168918
Proud owner of two 2T22s & a 3T22; & might acquire a roundback 2001 soon

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”