Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Re: Phase Convertor

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:17 am

Trey wrote:You're pretty much gonna have to have a dedicated service from the utility for an ACA siren. They pull so much current that you'd pop all breakers in your house (assuming this is where you're intending to to this). Those capacitor start motors are current hungry and one cannot simply use standard household current to start one as with the older Federal sirens. As for the static converter, I've always heard static is not the way to go for something that draws a heavy current. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've got a single phase P-15, you can run it at home but you'll want at least a 200 amp service with at least a 15kva transformer feeding it. I've run mine at home before, but I've got a 200 amp service and a 50kva transformer, so it's possible to do but only under certain circumstances, but most people don't have a big enough feed. It's power hungry though, that's for sure.

For running a 3 phase siren at home, static really isn't the way to go unless you are under 7 horsepower. It's hard on the bigger motors and it draws a lot of current as well. I have a 5hp Model 3 and it barely gets going with a 60 amp service to it, it's going to be a heck of a lot more with a 15hp motor. A rotary converter is really the way to go in this situation, and you'll want your idler motor to be at least 30hp for a 15hp motor.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”