NKTBOLT
YouTube Username: Sirens & Warning

Thunderbolt help

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:34 am

Ok, so I've been working on my thunderbolt, and it has some sort of metal butterfly on the end of the rod. Is this some sort of nut holding it on? Also, the motor won't come off the chopper cap! Please help! :TBolt:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Very proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000B Full unit, a fully restored Model 5B, A Full Model 2 Unit, a Model A, a crank siren, and several mini sirens! :TBolt:

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Re: Thunderbolt help

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 am

I have had a lot of thunderbolts apart and I have never seen anything like that.
Is that a tube that this thing is attached to? It sure looks like it in the pic.
Is there a screw or bolt down in the bottom of the tube attaching it to the armature shaft?
I have no I idea what the purpose of that could be. It had to have been added by someone.

To remove the cap from the chopper motor. Remove the brushes and the upper bearing retaining bolts.
Take two screwdrivers and easily work them between the cap and motor frame.
Pry easily from side to side and work the upper bearing out of the cap. Sometimes the lower bearing
comes out of the frame first. If that happens you obviously will need to remove that wacky device from
the end of the chopper shaft first to get the motor frame off.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

NKTBOLT
YouTube Username: Sirens & Warning

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:07 pm

CDV777-1 wrote:I have had a lot of thunderbolts apart and I have never seen anything like that.
Is that a tube that this thing is attached to? It sure looks like it in the pic.
Is there a screw or bolt down in the bottom of the tube attaching it to the armature shaft?
I have no I idea what the purpose of that could be. It had to have been added by someone.

To remove the cap from the chopper motor. Remove the brushes and the upper bearing retaining bolts.
Take two screwdrivers and easily work them between the cap and motor frame.
Pry easily from side to side and work the upper bearing out of the cap. Sometimes the lower bearing
comes out of the frame first. If that happens you obviously will need to remove that wacky device from
the end of the chopper shaft first to get the motor frame off.
It may be a bolt of some sort, but I cant find any threads, and I tried putting a jam in the chopper, and turning the tip with a wrench but the big metal butterfly did not move!
Very proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000B Full unit, a fully restored Model 5B, A Full Model 2 Unit, a Model A, a crank siren, and several mini sirens! :TBolt:

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:02 am

just to give you an idea as to what the chopper assembly should look like here is a pic of my dual tone 4/5 port chopper assembly.

Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”