CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Re: 1992-1993 "ACA Identity Crisis"

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:39 pm

I know that. When it comes to ACA, I know a lot about them.
Still pop on here occasionally, but no longer post.

maxshaw

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Does anyone know if there are any active ECN's left? I saw a few on Sullivan's Island, SC, but I've never heard them go off before.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 pm

maxshaw wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any active ECN's left? I saw a few on Sullivan's Island, SC, but I've never heard them go off before.
I think a section of Pueblo County, Colorado may still have a system of those around the Pueblo Chemical Ordinance Storage Depot Complex.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm

maxshaw wrote:
There are a couple in the Butler, PA area, at least one ECN-3000 and an ECN-600. There's also an ECN-3000 in Nekoosa, WI. All of those are active and have ASC controls. The now former Pueblo Co., CO CSEPP Siren System consisted of 19 ECN-3000's (originally 20, one was replaced by an HA-"624" effectively turning the siren site into an ECN-3600) and a possible Whelen, but the system was replaced by MOD8032B's over the past couple years.

Sullivan's Island's sirens are actually MadahCom sirens and probably the last few sold with the MadahCom name (MadahCom was bought by Cooper which was bought by Eaton). They were installed in 2011, which is a bit of a head scratcher considering the company was bought in the mid-2000's. I don't see the typical WAVES IP antenna mounted to the siren, so they appear to be radio controlled. Since the box says MadahCom and the installation is controlled over a conventional radio system the model of the sirens would be SPT-117's instead of WAVES SPT-2117's or WAVES HPSA-3106 for the Cooper variant. Cool and very unexpected find! It would be interesting to see if they use SiRcom or actual WAVES logic boards. MadahCom 's sirens were basically rebranded SiRcom SiBT sirens. The SPT series was apparently radio controlled, and the WAVES SPT-2000 series used WAVES' IP radio infrastructure.

The ECN was discontinued by ASC in the 90's if I'm not mistaken when Hormann America made ASC face-plant and Dale bought the company back, and while Hormann America still sold some afterwards they stopped in the early 2000's and let the HA series take its place. I speculate that Hormann America had some other issues going on at the time that eventually lead to them breaking away from Hörmann in Germany. Once they broke away from Hörmann that was pretty much the end of any ECN installations in the US, since from what I can tell they actually shipped the horns overseas from Hörmann to their shop.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”