archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

West Virginia Statewide Siren Map

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:53 am

It's been a month in the making, and I have finally finished Sirens of West Virginia & Vicinity to the extent that I possibly can with the data that's available to me! I have had the link to it in my signature for a while now, but I am giving the map its own thread as an easy way for you all to give feedback. I will not be allowing anyone else editing privileges for the map, but all suggestions are welcome. Much of the map was made with information found online that may be several years old, so if you know about anything that needs updating, please let me know!

Documenting the sirens of West Virginia has been especially fun because, aside from the Kanawha Valley and Beaver Valley systems, the sirens belong to the local fire departments, which means their models are very random and unpredictable. Before discovering each location, I had no idea what kind of siren would be there. The majority of them are Federal Signal of course, but there's plenty of Sterling, Sentry and Darley models all scattered around.

To be as accurate and include as much information as possible, I included separate markers for removed sirens even if there's a new one in its place, and I included locations where there may be a siren but I haven't confirmed it. These are in a hidden layer called "Mystery & Removed." Additionally, I included sirens outside the state line but within hearing distance or reasonable travel distance if they're of interest.

I opted for colors instead of siren picture markers in the interest of a clean look, and because I couldn't find pictures for some models (ex. Darley 3V8). The colors were inspired by the Various Sirens series but are not quite the same. They are:

- Yellow: Federal Signal
- Red: Sentry
- Purple: Sterling
- Light Blue: Darley
- Dark Blue: ACA
- Pink: Whelen
- Orange: H.O.R.

- Green: Siren present, unknown make/model
- Brown: Unsure if siren is present
- Gray: Siren removed

There are no ASC or B&N branded sirens in West Virginia (or if there is one, it's very obscure).

Here's the link! It will also remain in my signature, as I have no plans to ever remove it.
Last edited by archizackture on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

archizackture

Re: West Virginia Statewide Siren Map

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I made a huge edit. The markers are now sorted into layers based on maker and, in the case of FS, by model. There's also a "Mystery" layer that is hidden by default.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.

Appalachian

YouTube Username: Appalachian Siren Prods

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:50 am

You are missing the 10V2T at Weston.

archizackture

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 am

Appalachian wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:50 am
You are missing the 10V2T at Weston.
Thanks! Is it very new? Located somewhere other than the fire department? I looked through Google Maps's imagery from 2017 and couldn't find a siren.

EDIT: I had been looking around the fire department, but I did some more searching and found it at the municipal building! And it looks quite old, haha. Thanks again.

archizackture

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:06 am

Added Rainelle's Sentry 3V8. Not sure how I missed it before, it's very low-mounted on the edge of the fire department's entry portico.

Tuba

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 am

There’s a really good looking banshee on the right side of 70 WB right as you get into Ohio through Wheeling. It’s right next to skyliners, and is visible from I-70 West
Whelen gang

archizackture

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:23 am

Tuba wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 am
There’s a really good looking banshee on the right side of 70 WB right as you get into Ohio through Wheeling. It’s right next to skyliners, and is visible from I-70 West
Found and added. Thanks!

NovaSirens

YouTube Username: Savage Alpha

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Great Map! But You Are Missing Bayard's Model 5
You Looked At My Bio

N I C E

archizackture

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 pm

NovaSirens wrote:
Thanks! I had found it on satellite imagery before but couldn't tell what it was.

There's a whole hidden layer of mystery sirens on my map, with tons of locations that I need help confirming or identifying. All this help is appreciated.

NovaSirens

YouTube Username: Savage Alpha

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:30 am

archizackture wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 pm
NovaSirens wrote:
Thanks! I had found it on satellite imagery before but couldn't tell what it was.

There's a whole hidden layer of mystery sirens on my map, with tons of locations that I need help confirming or identifying. All this help is appreciated.
No Problem! Thanks for Giving Me a Shoutout, I Will See What I Can Do with Helping You Identify Sirens!
UPDATE: Elkins Siren: STH-10| Mannington's M-10 Gone| I Hope This Helps :D
You Looked At My Bio

N I C E

Return to “Siren Maps”