Cooner750

Reading, OH Thunderbolt Audio (Thurs. Oct 18, near midnight)

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:19 am

The Thunderbolts were just running their cycle here for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning (Alert mode).

I recorded audio from my headset, which was sitting on my window ledge. I did have to amplify the sound, so there is some static, but you can still hear the siren(s).

I believe the one you are hearing most of in the audio is the Thunderbolt mounted on top of the now-abandoned Stearns & Foster factory in nearby Lockland (very close, the one in my avatar). I'm pretty certain this siren still rotates properly, which is what leads me to believe it's the one I heard most in my recording.

I uploaded the audio to MediaFire, it's available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1uzdpuxwozv

Note: You might notice in some parts where it seems a section of audio is missing. This is because I did not anticipate my recording software to put a voiceover on the audio because the program isn't registered. I removed the voiceover parts, but lost some audio in the process. It isn't too noticeable.

EDIT: I just talked to someone that was driving by the Thunderbolt up at the top of the hill in Reading (while it was running), and they said they're pretty sure it wasn't rotating, but didn't look too long. I know it's had rotator problems in the past. Hopefully if it is broken, it will get fixed instead of replaced.

Elliott

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Yeah, I'm the guy who originally filmed that siren...I messaged you a while back, but never got a reply.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Cooner750

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:17 pm

I got the message, but school started a few days after and I probably forgot about it.

The only two sirens I know of are the Thunderbolt on top of Stearns & Foster, and the one that you recorded.

There is also a siren in the bell tower of Lockland's town hall, or so it looks like it. It's rather hard to see, but it looks like a siren very similar to an Elektror. From what I've heard, it was once used for ambulance calls. I'm not sure if it's still used today.

Return to “Videos and Media”