Justin

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:14 am

Daniel wrote:Strange how all of these newer electronic systems, particularly ATI, fail within a very short time, while mechanical sirens built 50-80 years ago still operate every day.
Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if 'built-in obsolescence' was present here.
Thank you Design Technology theory. :)

But I would hope that siren manufacturers would not consider this, it's extremely stupid and very dangerous to say the least.

Comes back to the old saying "they don't build 'em like they used to". In most respects I find this to be quite true.

Stick any old electronic siren out in the wild for 20+ years and I'll bet that nine times out of ten it would fail somewhere along the line. Not because it's electronic, there's nothing wrong with it in that respect; but because of the design. It's too bloody complicated.

Compare it to a mechanical siren. Less to go wrong with the design: i.e. You've only got a motor to fire up, rather than a plethora of electronics to power and drive.

This was one of the core points I was pushing with Harbinger in my DesignTech MDP folio. The design is deliberately simplistic and modular for a reason. There's less potential for failure to happen, and if and when it does; it doesn't take a team of rocket scientists to fix it.

Return to “Videos and Media”