CTsirenhunter

I'd like to know more about the Federal Signal Model A

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:51 am

During my time on this forum, I've seen plenty of attention given to Federal Signal's outdoor warning sirens and the famous Q, but what I'm really curious about is the Model A. From their site, I've gathered that it dates all the way back to 1918 and sounds like a sort of shrunken version of the Model 2 and sort of similar to the Q. I'm not quite sure, though, how and where it would be used, or if it would have been feasible to outfit a city or town with a bunch of A's as its air raid warning system...in general, I just want to know more about the A. What light can any of you shed on it?

Daniel

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:55 am

The Model A has a six-port rotor that will fit in the palm of your hand, and I think that the motor is 1/8 Hp. My old elementary school had three of them in the main hallway, so they would not be useful for public warning except as a street clearer in front of a firehouse or in a campground-sized town. In Oregon they are commonly used inside older school buildings and as traffic warning alarms for closing gates on drawbridges.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

CTsirenhunter

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:02 am

Thanks a lot. Those examples give me the perfect idea of what the A is used for. If it can be used as a fire alarm in a school, it's obviously way quieter than I thought.

EL1998P71

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:30 am

I can take mine apart and take pics of it, If you require?

VIDEO
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

CTsirenhunter

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Interestingly enough, it was that video that gave me the idea of what the A sounded like...and gave me the false impression of how loud it was. Someone made a comment on that video about the way the sound echoed in that room...they weren't kidding. And if it's not too much trouble, could I please see a bit of the inside just to compare with larger sirens? Thanks.

Daniel

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:23 am

On New Year's Eve, 2000, I had my Model A alongside a CAM Model 4 and a Federal Model 28, both of which were probably double the volume of the A. Have you seen one of those yellowish, bullet-shaped sirens on eBay that is stamped "Made in Yugoslavia? Those are exactly the same size and volume as a Model A, and I compared them side by side at New Year's Eve, 2003.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”