ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Weird sounding 3T22 in Attack, in Vernon, CT.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCdNJZW6jhk

There's a lot of talking at the beginning of this video, but this siren is worth hearing. It's an older 3T22, but it doesn't sound like other 3T22's. The wind up is slower, and the pitch is higher than usual. According to the video, this is the final test of this siren.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Justin

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Could be because they have it running on a lower voltage than what the recommended rating is, so the motor engages and disengages a bit slower.

I'm only guessing though, based on information that I've read.

Cyrun

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 pm

It's ashame they are removing it. It didn't sound to bad to me. A little slow. I have seen Vernon, CT FD elsewhere on here and they replaced other electro-mechanical sirens with speakers. Bad move in my opinion.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

For those of you who are new and may not of seen the topic "Vernon CT installs new sirens", this siren was suspose to be taken out of service back in November do to it causing problems with station 141's roof, and the EM director wanting to upgrade the whole system to battery backed sirens, with voice capibility. We got a total of 7 WS 2000s, from the Millstone nuclear power plant's old system waiting to go up, and a 2008 already up (replaced a 5 that burnt up in August). That pole you see in the background behind the station, is for a WS 2000 of some sorts, from what I've been told by the EM director "like the one on Dart hill Rd" which is the 2008. CL&P (CT Light and Power), took their sweet time, installing the utilities hook up, and the town didn't get the pole installed until December. Now the EM director was out of town, for most of December until just after January's test day, no one bothered to test them in his absense. This test, was most likely the final test, as you can see, there's wires now running up the pole. This siren is not all that old in "siren years", installed sometime in the 70's for VFD use. As you heard in the video, it runs at a faster speed that usual, and winds up slower. I suspect this is a 3 phase siren, possibily being run on a phase converter. It use to sound like any other T22 when peaked. I have 2 old recordings of 2 tests from 6 years ago, one with it sounding normally recorded from my old backyard (with my late dog howling in the beginning), and the other, with it starting up as usual, than surging to the higher tone you hear on the 1st round on the video, starting from 150ft, than ending up at 50ft. It now runs for some odd reason faster like you hear in the rest of the video. As you heard in the video, I will be taking possession of the siren once it comes down.

kanazo

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:43 am

sounds like either the top intake was a bit blocked or the lower tone is overpowering the higher tone?
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

Archon

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 am

It sounds this way because it is a single phase motor on it

Cyrun

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:57 am

Were single phase 2/3T22's common? Also, what were the production years on these?

Daniel

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:57 am

Whatever the case, it is definitely running at a higher RPM than normal.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 am

3t22 wrote:For those of you who are new and may not of seen the topic "Vernon CT installs new sirens", this siren was suspose to be taken out of service back in November do to it causing problems with station 141's roof, and the EM director wanting to upgrade the whole system to battery backed sirens, with voice capibility. We got a total of 7 WS 2000s, from the Millstone nuclear power plant's old system waiting to go up, and a 2008 already up (replaced a 5 that burnt up in August). That pole you see in the background behind the station, is for a WS 2000 of some sorts, from what I've been told by the EM director "like the one on Dart hill Rd" which is the 2008. CL&P (CT Light and Power), took their sweet time, installing the utilities hook up, and the town didn't get the pole installed until December. Now the EM director was out of town, for most of December until just after January's test day, no one bothered to test them in his absense. This test, was most likely the final test, as you can see, there's wires now running up the pole. This siren is not all that old in "siren years", installed sometime in the 70's for VFD use. As you heard in the video, it runs at a faster speed that usual, and winds up slower. I suspect this is a 3 phase siren, possibily being run on a phase converter. It use to sound like any other T22 when peaked. I have 2 old recordings of 2 tests from 6 years ago, one with it sounding normally recorded from my old backyard (with my late dog howling in the beginning), and the other, with it starting up as usual, than surging to the higher tone you hear on the 1st round on the video, starting from 150ft, than ending up at 50ft. It now runs for some odd reason faster like you hear in the rest of the video. As you heard in the video, I will be taking possession of the siren once it comes down.
Of course, they would be replacing it with a Whelen... :evil:
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

3t22HiLo

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:23 am

That does sound like several of the single phase 3t22's i've heard.

Still a Great sound tho.

Return to “Videos and Media”