John in MA

High fidelity siren audio recordings?

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Not sure if this is the right section to ask in. Are there many high quality audio recordings of various Civil Defense type sirens available, or at least as good as MP3 might allow? I mean something clean made with decent mics and equipment and not horribly compressed.

I'm rather curious to hear what some of the popular older sirens actually sound like in person. My hi-fi system's capable of a good reproduction of normal listening distances.

ThunderboltFreak

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:56 pm

A ton of them try putfile or something.
Assistant Store Manager at GameStop.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 am

ThunderboltFreak wrote:A ton of them try putfile or something.

In my oppinion, the search function on Putfile is very poor, so I would use Google to search Putfile. You can use the "site:" switch.

Also, a YouTube user named Siren1000T has some excelent sounding siren recordings, and it's very easy to convert them to MP3. Also, check out this YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QewSvOuyUE

That's the best audio quality in a YouTube video I've heard so far. It's in stereo, and there is a wide variety of sirens sounding the Alert signal. When I get my own digital audio recorder soon, I hope to be adding some of my own high quality recordings as well.

I'll do a Google search on Putfile, and see what I can find.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

ThunderboltFreak

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 am

ver tum wrote:
ThunderboltFreak wrote:A ton of them try putfile or something.

In my oppinion, the search function on Putfile is very poor, so I would use Google to search Putfile. You can use the "site:" switch.

Also, a YouTube user named Siren1000T has some excelent sounding siren recordings, and it's very easy to convert them to MP3. Also, check out this YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QewSvOuyUE

That's the best audio quality in a YouTube video I've heard so far. It's in stereo, and there is a wide variety of sirens sounding the Alert signal. When I get my own digital audio recorder soon, I hope to be adding some of my own high quality recordings as well.

I'll do a Google search on Putfile, and see what I can find.
Yeah, their is also some recordings on the Airraidsirens homepage aswell. In the sounds section. Very good recordings.

John in MA

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:29 pm

I'll try Putfile, thanks. Anyone checked out the sound links on the Airraidsirens home recently? All dead links of the ones I tried.

This'll be an interesting test when I get some clips rounded up. I should good for about 114-115 db with the power I have available in my main 2-channel rig.

ver tum

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I haven't been able to get the links to the MP3 files on the main Airraid Sirens site to work, and I'm still having trouble searching Putfile, even using Google. I hope someone can come up with some good links.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

ThunderboltFreak

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:20 pm

My bad, they were really good recordings when you could listen to them.
I suggest putfile.

danwisbey85

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:59 am

My 'Essex Flood Siren 2' video was recorded with High Quality Microphones, of course on youtube it's only Mono sound. But the video itself is stereo. It's true what the description says, what you hear the microphones hear, and it's 100% true! I can easily make the video into an MP3 if anyone's interested?

Dan.

Gandalf

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:03 pm

danwisbey85 wrote:I can easily make the video into an MP3 if anyone's interested?
Go for it!

ver tum

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm not sure how it's done, but it is possible to make a stereo video for YouTube. That one I posted a link to earlier, is in stereo, and the audio quality is excelent. That's the first YouTube video I've ever seen in stereo.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Videos and Media”