Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:09 am

tboltboy wrote:
Pete wrote:There aren't too many "holy grails" of sirens left...a video of an HOR in action would definitely be one of them. A vid of a Hurricane blasting away would be cool too.
I have a video of one doing Alert and Attack...its in Quicktime and NOT MINE If you want it just Email Me
Isnt that the one from Darien, Illinois? it was posted here about 2 years ago.

and it was like 40 MB. I have that video.

and I saw that siren in person :)

Daniel

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:19 am

Not to get nitpicky, but the dual-tone HOR has a port ratio of 7/10, not 7/9. A 7/9 ratio would be closer to a major 3rd (like a Model 2T).

Archon

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:00 am

Horman made them is both 7/10 & 7/9. 7/10 and 9 in US and 7/9 in Europe.

Daniel

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 am

Does this mean, then, that HOR is the same as H?rmann and are German-made sirens? I would like to know more about this company (whoever they are), because these sirens are virtually unknown out here in the Pacific Northwest and they have an awesome sound, regardless of port ratio. Some of them could rotate -- did this give a sort of slow "high-low" effect as each rotor came and went?

Archon

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:23 am

HOR is short for Horman. German company. They owened ASC untill 2000
ACA made some of Horman sirens too. (We think)

Pete

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:43 am

Really? I thought I remembered something from the old board that HOR and Hormann were two different companies...that HOR was the initals of the company founder's name or something.

I could be completely wrong though. Archon, not trying to take a personal shot at you whatsoever.

Mister_Penetrator

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:40 am

PhRed wrote:
Thunderbolt wrote:The HOR sirens have scary tones to them.
And here is another HOR siren recording from 1955 with a few Federals in Amityville (sounds like it would fit that town):
http://www.longislandfirealarm.com/Amit ... 201955.mp3
I **believe** the low-pitched one you hear in the distance (and the one that shuts off after everyone else) is an STL-10. I'm tempted to say that it's still there to this very day.

Didn't the STL precede the STH by a few years? I think the STH came out in like '60-'61(?)
Man that is probably the scariest high pitched siren that I have ever heard of. It sounds like a cross between a screaming witch, ghost, and siren (from greek mythogly that is). Aside from warning people, they also seem designed to give everyone nightmares for a month.

Daniel

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:31 am

On the Amityville recording, I believe that the low-pitched siren is a Sterling Little Giant, although it does sound just like an STL-10. In fact, I've heard somewhere a more recent recording of this siren by itself. I believe most of these sirens are still standing in Amityville. The high-pitched screeching one is a 16-port Sterling M-10 or M-5 and there are some Model 2's out there also.

LtKernelPanic

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:44 am

FWIW as of today the siren in the second link is still there. In fact it's about a block and a half from the friend I'm staying with while on vacation. We took a few pictures that I'll post in a day or two. He said he hasn't heard it go off since he moved to the area around 3 years ago.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”