Melvin Potts

Chicago Area Sirens

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:08 am

I recently attended a convention in Chicago. Most travel from event to event was on buses, so I always tried to get a window seat and look for sirens.

Our headquarters hotel was the Marriott downtown on Michigan Avenue.

I didn't spot any sirens in that area. However, I did see a few Federal Modulators from the bus. One was in a public park; others were on street corners; also saw another one near the Navy Pier.

One evening on a bus ride into Oak Park I saw a Thunderbolt atop a school in that city.

One day our group boarded buses for events at Valparaiso University. This meant crossing into Indiana. Somewhere along the way(I don't know just where we were) I saw a Thunderbolt atop a building.

When we arrived on the "Valpo" campus, I spotted an ASC T-128 atop a building..mounted very LOW. Unfortunately we were still on the bus, so I didn't have a chance to get a picture of it. I'd hoped to get a shot of it before leaving the campus, but couldn't do so due to hard rain.

While riding the shuttle back to Midway Airport, I noticed a Thunderbolt atop a building which was near the freeway. There's also a Modulator near the entrance to the airport.

I'd expected to see a lot of Thunderbolts in the area. Maybe I just wasn't in the right places?

Brendan Ahern

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:02 pm

yeah tbolts are rare. i know of a few in the city, none of them active, where did you see the mod my navy pier...just curious as i have been looking for one over there for awhile, the closest siren ive found to navy pier is the 2001 across the street from millenium park

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:yeah tbolts are rare. i know of a few in the city, none of them active, where did you see the mod my navy pier...just curious as i have been looking for one over there for awhile, the closest siren ive found to navy pier is the 2001 across the street from millenium park
I know what he's talking about, i've seen it before.

I believe it is the Soldier field mod, because ir ecall seeing soldier field
and a mod in the park not far from it.

Melvin Potts

Reply to Brendan Ahern

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Brendan:

I was on bus going to Navy Pier for a special event. Our group was having a banquet in the Grand Ballroom.

As the bus went around to the left of the main complex, I saw a Modulator to my left. Looked like it may have been mounted atop a building; if not, the pole was hidden from view.

Brendan Ahern

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Melvin...its on a pole, none of the new sirens are on buildings. Thanks for the info...

Gil, that mod in grant park isnt for soldier field, that one is on 18th st. across from soldier field. it covers mccormick place too.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:Gil, that mod in grant park isnt for soldier field, that one is on 18th st. across from soldier field. it covers mccormick place too.
I didn't mean it was FOR soldier field. I meant it was BY soldier field.

Maybe im talking about a different mod??

birdy

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:26 am

Not Chicago obviously, but I spotted a pole-mounted T-bolt in Clinton, Illinois on Saturday. I haven't seen a pole-mounted T-bolt since I was a kid, the only T-bolts left here in CU are on roofs. Kind of exciting.
-Bird.

Brendan Ahern

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:24 pm

Actually yes that mod does look roof mounted. I saw it from lake shore drive but cant see the bottom cell which leads me to believe it is in fact on a pole. The siren is a the Jardine water filtration plant. I wont be able to get close since you cant get into that place to save your life post 9/11. But very good find!

Rory Buszka

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:50 am

I have an antique pre-Cold-War World Book Encyclopedia, which shows a HOR Super Sirex on a building. The photo credit says "Chicago". So, at one point...
Say NO to excessive siren testing - overtesting desensitizes the public.
Say NO to voice siren systems - multiple origins = unintelligible audio.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:17 pm

I made a connection through O'Hare a couple weeks ago and noticed that Chicago (I am assuming NW side) has at least 3 T-135's mounted on water towers/tanks. (The sirens are painted a greenish color, matching the color of the water towers.)
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”