ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Louisville, KY test (03-11-08) updated with louder Whelen

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:05 pm

The sirens were tested today, and I got a good recording of the 2T22 at the South Dixie VFD, from the parking lot of Sun Valley Golf Course. Much to my surprise, I heard a Whelen start up in the distance, a fiew minutes before the 2T22 did. The Whelen sounded like an omni-directional siren, possibly a 2900, and it was activated independent from the rest of the sirens in Louisville. As you will hear, the Whelen started in Whoop, then went into Alert, before it was completely drowned out by the 2T22. Unfortunately, there aren't any other sirens very close to the golf course, so you won't be able to hear any of the city's other sirens until the wind-down. If you crank up the volume, you'll be able to hear the Whelen on the left channel. The mic was clipped to my brother's radio antenna, and you can hear me talking in the car before the 2T22 starts up.

Here's my recording.
Other recordings of sirens from this same test will follow as soon as Minerva Mink and I can get them posted.
Last edited by ver tum on Wed May 07, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Minerva Mink

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Here are a set of audio only recordings, recorded at the Crecent hill water company. the reason i have audio only is because my video capture software and components are unable to work win Win2K service pack 4. I am going to be getting a video version of the same audio only recordings you hear now at Josh's on Friday.

Whelen HI-LO and talk w/ water company official.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/3/1 ... gh-Low.mp3

Whelen short blasts, and thunderbolt 1003 alert w/ faint city sirens:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/3/1 ... 0Alert.mp3

I'd like to thank Josh for converting these files to MP3, without him i would be stuck.

ver tum

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:38 pm

8) Great recordings! It's cool how you got that guy to run the 4004 for a short high/low test before the city sirens went off. Great audio quality on the second recording! That Thunderbolt 1003 can also be heard in the recording in this thread. It used to rotate at either 6 or 8 RPM's, but they've set it down to 2 since Brad's recording was made. I could also hear the Pope Street Thunderbolt in your second recording, along with a 2001, another Thunderbolt, and perhaps a 2T22. Great job!

When I converted the Wav files you sent me to MP3, I took out as much of the distortion as I could. Most of the distortion was only caused by the original files being too loud, so I just turned them down a little. I can't wait until we get the video versions posted!

It's nice to know that that Thunderbolt 1003 isn't coming down any time soon, despite the fact that there's a Whelen 4004 almost right next to it. I don't know why they couldn't just use the 1003 for chlorine spills, but it's cool that we have a couple of Whelens, along with all of our Federal sirens.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

ver tum

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm

I finally got the other two audio recordings, and here they are.

2001 at the JCPS Bus Compound

PRP VFD #1 Low Pitched Thunderbolt Failed, Other Sirens Heard

I was disappointed to find out that the bus compound has a 2001 instead of a 4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T, and I really wasn't looking forward to that recording, but there is something interesting about it. This 2001 is sick. Listen to how the pitch gradually drops throughout the whole recording, and it ends up a whole step down from where it started. A dual tone Thunderbolt can be heard faintly. Since the sirens started about five minutes late this time, Uncle Dave drove up to the siren to see if it was doing anything, and just as he got right under it, it blasted him. He turned on the tape recorder, and drove several yards back from the siren, and parked. That explains the wind at the beginning.

In the second recording, which my grandmother recorded, the tan Thunderbolt 1000T failed to sound, but you can hear the Doss Highschool Thunderbolt, which is in my avatar, the Kerrick Elementary School Thunderbolt, a 2001, which I assume is that brand new looking one at Lower Hunters Trace, and another dual tone Thunderbolt. Also, another dual tone siren can be heard, which sounds like a level 7 Thunderbolt 1000T with a 4/5 port roter. I'll have to find that 4/5 port 1000T, or what ever siren that is, and try to get a recording of it.
Last edited by ver tum on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

kswx29

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Second recording dosn't work. As for the 2001, perhaps the batteries were dieing.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

ver tum

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 pm

It should work now. I uploaded the file again, and edited my post, and it worked for me this time. FileDen is really picky about certain characters in file names, and that's probably why the file didn't upload the first time. The sirens are faint in the second recording, so you may want to turn the volume up.

About the 2001 at the bus compound, shouldn't it be running on power from the power company until there's a power failure?
Josh
Audio
YouTube

kswx29

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:04 pm

ver tum wrote:It should work now. I uploaded the file again, and edited my post, and it worked for me this time. FileDen is really picky about certain characters in file names, and that's probably why the file didn't upload the first time. The sirens are faint in the second recording, so you may want to turn the volume up.

About the 2001 at the bus compound, shouldn't it be running on power from the power company until there's a power failure?
I would think so, but i don't know what else it could be.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

ver tum

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am

It could be a bad chopper motor. I don't know much about the inner workings of a 2001, but if the chopper motor is like a Thunderbolt motor, then the brushes or the slip rings may be bad. Something could also be wrong with the supply of AC power it's getting. It may have blown a breaker or something.

BTW, could you hear the Whelen at the beginning of the 2T22 recording that my brother and I made, or does it need to be amplified? I can amplify it if anyone wants me to. I also have an edited version of that recording, with just the 2T22, if anyone is interested.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

2T22Fan4ever

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:33 am

Nice.

I'm loving that 2T22.

That's my favorite siren.
A 2T22 can pwn any other siren at any day of the week. (:

ver tum

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 pm

2T22Fan4ever wrote:Nice.

I'm loving that 2T22.

That's my favorite siren.

Since you like that siren so much, here's an edited version of my 2T22 recording, that starts just before the 2T22 starts. The only reason that the original recording I posted is longer, is because I want people to hear the Whelen in the distance. You can put my recording on your 2T22 fan site, but please just remember to give credit to Ver Tum, or Josh C.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Videos and Media”