bwillcox

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:52 pm

There is one Thunderbeam in downtown Grapevine, Texas as part of their warning system.

There are also numerous Thunderbeams in and around Hood and Somervell counties in Texas as part of the Comanche Peak EPZ system. Look in and around Granbury and you'll see a few. My understanding is these are going to go away eventually in favor of ASC I-Forces.
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:58 pm

red04stanggt wrote:
2t22boy wrote:Theres quiet a bit Thunderbeams in Shawnee County, Kansas...and i know of some in Johnson County, KS and Kingfisher, OK. I don't think they are that rare. I think 500AT and 550AT(double horn right?) are pretty rare, as i have only seen 500ATs (personally) in Shawnee County.
Do you know where the beam(s) are in johnson county?
Was wondering this myself. The Thunderbeam that I was going to video record was taken down (looks like they cut the pole in half too :lol:). Which was down by Spring Hill, KS off the highway a mile before town. That siren was replaced with a nice new (annoying) 2001. :)

I'm still trying to find that siren in spring hill in the older part of the town. So far haven't found that siren or whatever it might be down there. :|

EDIT: If memory serves me right, Overland Park, KS towards the eastern bit of the town has a ThunderBeam still. However, it has been quite some time since I was last in that area. Which reminds me to go record that EOWS siren in Leawood later on!
--bc

kswx29

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:19 pm

JasonC wrote:The Thunderbeam RSH10 is basically an STH10 with small downward pointing horns onto the reflector plate. The plate is driven by gear reduction.

The Thunderbeam was produced in the mid to late 80's, and was replaced with the 2001.
Mid-Late 80s sounds about right, the Thunderbeams around Topeka are all in areas that experienced growth in that time period.
Here is an Upclose picture i have of the Thunderbeam, you can see something above the reflector Platte.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

kswx29

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 pm

md5 wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:
2t22boy wrote:Theres quiet a bit Thunderbeams in Shawnee County, Kansas...and i know of some in Johnson County, KS and Kingfisher, OK. I don't think they are that rare. I think 500AT and 550AT(double horn right?) are pretty rare, as i have only seen 500ATs (personally) in Shawnee County.
Do you know where the beam(s) are in johnson county?
Was wondering this myself.
There is one at Rushton Grade School north of Waterworks Park and another at Lamar & Johnson near Shawnee Mission Horizions High School. Also one out at 103rd & Sunflower in De Soto (Clearveiw City)
The siren in old Spring Hill is at E. Nichols & N. Main. If you are at that corner look to the SW and it should be behind those buildings.
Youtube | Flickr

md5

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:40 pm

2t22boy wrote:
md5 wrote:
red04stanggt wrote: Do you know where the beam(s) are in johnson county?
Was wondering this myself.
There is one at Rushton Grade School north of Waterworks Park and another at Lamar & Johnson near Shawnee Mission Horizions High School. Also one out at 103rd & Sunflower in De Soto (Clearveiw City)
The siren in old Spring Hill is at E. Nichols & N. Main. If you are at that corner look to the SW and it should be behind those buildings.
Image Orange little guy is where to look to from the green arrow, correct? Or am i opposite? Oh well, I think I'll take a little drive down there later this week to see if i can find it.
--bc

kswx29

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Yes, behind the building the ornage guy is ontop of.
Youtube | Flickr

md5

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:20 pm

2t22boy wrote:Yes, behind the building the ornage guy is ontop of.
Well, i went down there just now... it's not very "orange" but more over a rusted red :P ... will upload the pictures to my server in a few. :)

Power is still connected to it. Also seems to be wireless controlled, as it has a new remote control box on it, atop the old unlocked control panel. Didn't get pictures of the inner control panel though. Save that for a later date, when its actually sunny and warm outside. 8)

EDIT: I take back the red / orange color. My eyesight is bad it seems.
--bc

kswx29

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 am

You might try taking those down and resizeing them, and perhaps posting them in a thread related to the siren it's self. But yes, that is the siren i am was talking about, and according to Johnson County EM it is still active. I really want to get a video of it this summer.
Youtube | Flickr

md5

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 am

2t22boy wrote:You might try taking those down and resizeing them, and perhaps posting them in a thread related to the siren it's self. But yes, that is the siren i am was talking about, and according to Johnson County EM it is still active. I really want to get a video of it this summer.
Fixed on image sizes, just set them as links. Will make a new topic later on when i have many more pictures of other sirens in the area.

This siren tested in conjunction with the county wide monthly test? :)
--bc

Return to “Videos and Media”