red04stanggt

Kansas City news station does investigation on sirens

Fri May 16, 2008 2:59 pm

We all understand a few have problems. People AND THE MEDIA need to get it through their head that they are intended to be heard outside only!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the page they found each city with siren issues and they are in a pdf file. Im so glad Shawnee isnt on there! ALso seems all the sirens having issues are 2001's

http://www.kctv5.com/news/16278012/detail.html

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Fri May 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Nice news report... now to find this Blue Valley Public Safety building. :P

On a more serious note, as you've stated the 2001's having more issues. Pretty sad when the older sirens work like a charm and the newer ones have the issues. Have to love that edge-tipping technology in that! :x
--bc

thunderbolt69

Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 pm

As I noticed that mosstly the 2001 AC/DC sirens had the problems. Only 1 Thunderbolt 1000A had a problem.

Alasiren1977

Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Federal should be ashamed of themselves with that 2001. I have heard more problems out that siren then any other mechanical siren out there today. I can understand a 50+ year old siren breaking down once in a while but a newer siren like the 2001 should have no excuse. As far as the battery problems that is really the EMA's fault because batteries do go out and need to be replaced from time to time, and they should change those things before they the batteries go bad. :?

eaglecomm

Re: Kansas City news station does investigation on sirens

Sat May 17, 2008 12:40 pm

red04stanggt wrote:We all understand a few have problems. People AND THE MEDIA need to get it through their head that they are intended to be heard outside only!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the page they found each city with siren issues and they are in a pdf file. Im so glad Shawnee isnt on there! ALso seems all the sirens having issues are 2001's

I like how that reporter said the sirens are a "Life Line" for many residents...once again people need to stop relying on those and buy a NOAA weather radio. Due to the possibility of sirens experiencing mechanical failure, the weather radios would be the only sure fire way to receive an appropriate warning.

md5

Re: Kansas City news station does investigation on sirens

Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 pm

eaglecomm wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:We all understand a few have problems. People AND THE MEDIA need to get it through their head that they are intended to be heard outside only!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the page they found each city with siren issues and they are in a pdf file. Im so glad Shawnee isnt on there! ALso seems all the sirens having issues are 2001's

I like how that reporter said the sirens are a "Life Line" for many residents...once again people need to stop relying on those and buy a NOAA weather radio. Due to the possibility of sirens experiencing mechanical failure, the weather radios would be the only sure fire way to receive an appropriate warning.
Sadly, from what I have learned over the years NOAA weather radio is a new trend being pushed, and much of the area hasn't fell into the rut of getting a NOAA weather radio yet thus still relying on the outdoor sirens. Sure I can see what they mean if a siren is only a few hundred feet away, but if it fails you're rather SOL.
--bc

EOWS 612

Mon May 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Gotta brust Thunderbolt69's bubble, during the April siren test that T-bolt at 103rd and Noland wasn't the only one that failed. The Thunderbolt 1000t at 40 Hwy and Woods Chapel road had rotator failure, and Lake Lotawana's T-bolt 1000 failed completely. The 2001 at Valley View that keeps having encoder problems is in a big gulley, so they probably will move it. The EOWS 612 in Leawood is having problems too :cry: . Now, WHERE IS THAT SD-10?!

kswx29

Mon May 26, 2008 7:07 pm

EOWS 612 wrote:Now, WHERE IS THAT SD-10?!
There is a SD-10 in Johnson County?! Whoa?!
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

md5

Mon May 26, 2008 7:35 pm

2t22boy wrote:
EOWS 612 wrote:Now, WHERE IS THAT SD-10?!
There is a SD-10 in Johnson County?! Whoa?!
O_o erm, where? I don't recall one of them buggers in Johnson County. :?

If you are saying in reference to this:

That siren much likely has been replaced as with the other sirens pictured in that video. :)
--bc

kswx29

Mon May 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I thought that EOWS 612 ment there was a SD-10 in Johnson County. That SD-10 was in Kansas City, Kansas, but was replaced as with the rest of KCK's older sirens. I also rember seeing a Model 5 and STH-10 in KCK years ago.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Return to “Videos and Media”