ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

My avatar sings in stereo.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 am

I've always wanted to get a stereo recording of the Doss Highschool Thunderbolt 1000T, since it's my favorite 5/6 port Thunderbolt in the whole city of Louisville. I wanted to recorded from next door, at Birtha Trunnel Elementary School, but I couldn't get a ride down there, so I had to set up the recorder and my new stereo mic on Mom and Dad's swing in their back yard. Despite having recorded this siren several times, this is the best recording I've gotten of it so far. The B series blower can be heard pretty well in parts. Since the mic came with it's own wind screen, and it can be aimed much more precisely than my old one, little to no wind hit the mic, but the hiss you hear is the wind rustling through the trees. The PRP VFD #1 TBolt, a couple of other TBolts, and at least one 2001 can also be heard. The wind was blowing from the exact direction of the Doss siren, so the Kerrick Elementary School 1000T was completely drowned out, or else it failed to sound. Here's the stereo recording.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/3/1 ... -08%29.wma

For the YouTubers, here's a mono version of this same recording, with a still of the siren.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXGU2RN2u4

As of 06-12-08, I did away with the old mono version done on the tape recorder, because the quality is not near as good as this one, which was taken directly from the stereo recording. Listen to how healthy the Doss TBolt sounds.
Last edited by ver tum on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

kswx29

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:54 am

Love the wind up of that first Tbolt. Good recording.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:45 am

Despite 128k quality compression, very nice recording. Very clean!
--bc

ver tum

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 am

md5 wrote:Despite 128k quality compression, very nice recording. Very clean!

Thanks. I kept it in it's original WMA format, so that no sound quality would be lost. I did edit out the dead space, but all the editing program did was trim the original file, and I applied fade effects at the beginning and end. To my ears, 128 KBPS WMA files sound cleaner than MP3's with the same bit rate. When that recorder is set to 128 KBPS, I can't hear any compression artifacts.

Notice that when the wind is blowing harder, the siren souns much louder when it points at the recorder. I've never had a recorder before now that could capture that. I'm still amazed that there's little to no wind directly hitting the mic, even though the wind was blowing at about 15 MPH.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

File den link is dead

ver tum

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:00 pm

holler wrote:File den link is dead

That's weird, because it just now worked for me. If you try it again, it may work this time. If you still can't get the file to work, just PM me, and I'll send it to you via email.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Jim Z

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 am

very good recording.

mhmcdonal

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Very good quality recording, no wind noise on mic, and good distance. Keep it coming.

ver tum

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks! That was recorded using my new Soney ECM-MS907 one point stereo mic. Unlike my other mic, which broke back in May just before I did my Rubbertown recording, this mic can literally be aimed like a gun directly at what ever I'm recording. It not only has a right and left mic, but it has one in the center as well, that is for the center mono channel. My other mic only had right and left, and it was much harder to aim. The new mic can be pointed up and out, which puts it out of the direct wind flow, and it has a wind screen that comes with it. It's very good with both high and low frequencies, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has an Olympus recorder. It costs about $120.00, but it's definitely worth the money. It makes my old mic sound like a toy in comparison.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Videos and Media”