CTsirenhunter

Simsbury, CT Whelens sound for fire call- My first video!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Finally, I had the opportunity to capture my town's system of Whelens going off! This is my first video, and perhaps my last, as these are virtually the only sirens I've ever heard on a regular basis.

In this video...
-I offer an explanation/you hear my voice for the first time. Sorry that I mumble a bit and fumble through the names of three board members (sort of...) in attempting to credit Dave Fritz for something.
-I didn't get the wind up...I'm not that quick on the draw! Remember, I never know when these system soundings will come, but they come often.
-This is not a test or a weather warning, it's a fire call. Yes, we use Attack as a fire signal. No, I've never heard the Whelens here sound anything else, ever. I sometimes wonder what would happen if we unleashed the bizarre sounds of the Indoor Protection tone on this peaceful town for no apparent reason. But that's a contemplation for another thread, I guess...

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x281 ... irens1.flv
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Nice.

BTW, It's "Whee-len" :wink:

ACAP10

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Wow those Whelens seem high pitched. I've never heard one of their omni-directioncal siren sound like a 3016, they usually sound like 4004! Good video

CTsirenhunter

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 pm

BTW, It's "Whee-len"
Blame it on my...ummm...Connecticut accent... :D

In all seriousness, though, I never would have guessed to pronounce it like that. I think I'm going to stick with my pronunciation for now...

As for the high pitch, that is indeed true, but I'd take these over ATI any day!
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 am

JasonC wrote:Nice.

really? i always thought they where called well-N
videogamer
Matt Ullman

CTsirenhunter

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am

Ah, someone agrees with me...
In the end, as long as the sirens work (which they have done very well for probably two decades now), I'm happy. How to pronounce it is not my top priority.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:56 am

videogamer wrote:

Nope. According to Whelen, it's "whee-len".

ACAP10

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:47 am

...and i always thought it was pronounced wheel-in! Glad we all now know the TRUE pronunciation

and btw I actually like the pitch of the 3106 better than I do that of the 4004!

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 am

JasonC wrote:
videogamer wrote:

Nope. According to Whelen, it's "whee-len".
My aunt quickly correccted me when I called them "wailen" several years ago (she is an assembler in the vehicle lights and siren division)

The signal most Whelens do for fire calls in CT is actually wail. The attack signal is a fast wail on all Whelen sirens. Now Those 2740s are much higher pitched than Glastonbury's. Theirs sound like Middlefield's newer WS 2008 which is the only one in town with a now faded bright pink "Whelen" logo on the control box (installed in 1994 replacing a 12 port 5). You mention about not knowing when they'll go off, you should invest in a scanner. They can be a siren enthuiast's best friend. I'm on my 2nd radio shack desktop, a Pro-433 and also have a Pro-85 portable (needs a new antenna).

CTsirenhunter

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:21 pm

I've always wanted a scanner, and I have enough money, but I highly doubt my parents would let me get one. If the siren interest wasn't brought up, they would say it's pointless, and if the siren interest was brought up...well...they are trying to crush it anyway, so that wouldn't exactly work. But I still really want a scanner.

Return to “Videos and Media”