ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm

My screen reading program has always said Whee-len, but I never knew that that was the correct way to pronounce it. I usually hear people say Well-en or Wail-en. I was just talking to my uncle about this yesterday! Thanks for clearing it up.

BTW, great video! I've heard other recordings of 2700 series Whelens that sound very similar. Isn't the Whelen plant in CT?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

CTsirenhunter

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:10 pm

BTW, great video! I've heard other recordings of 2700 series Whelens that sound very similar. Isn't the Whelen plant in CT?
Thank you! Yes, the Whelen plant is in Chester, a place (and entire part of the state) where I have never been. Having located it with Windows Live Maps, I have discovered that it is right next to a small airport. I wonder if that's how they ship out their sirens...

The Whelen plant being in this state is the top reason why we have so many Whelens here. Everybody likes supporting local industry in this world in general, I think, and we happen to have a decent (if not the best, I guess) siren company in-state, so we'll do everything we can for them.
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Daniel

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Hmm, I didn't know that "whee-len" was correct. I always thought it was "whale-in."
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Rheems1

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:46 am

That is a good sounding siren, those 2700 series sirens do have that wonderful higher pitch to them which is fantastic!! We have heard hundreds of the 2800 series and it is almost a breath of fresh air to hear a 2700 series for once. Your parents won't let you buy a scanner..... that is sad... I have extra scanners lying around my house... they can't complain if someone gives you one can they?? Thank you for the shout out on the video... it is the first time my name was mentioned on a video without the f word preceding it :lol: (not that I mind the F word mind you). If you don't want me to send you a scanner and can wait until the end of November/beginning of December I will bring you one.. I make my annual trip to Maine every year... this year I will be coming up the 5th of December and coming back down through on the 7th or 8th... so there is plenty of time for me stop in Simsbury (plus I can photograph the newly refurbished Engine 5 at the Firetown station)...I think I owe you lunch anyway. For the record I have been saying Whale-en as well... I thought that was how it was pronounced...so you aren't alone nor is it your accent (unless you are Pennsylvania Dutch like I am... at which point may I say "Velcum to da famly of us Dutchies") :lol: .

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:27 am

CTsirenhunter wrote:
Thank you! Yes, the Whelen plant is in Chester, a place (and entire part of the state) where I have never been. Having located it with Windows Live Maps, I have discovered that it is right next to a small airport. I wonder if that's how they ship out their sirens...

The Whelen plant being in this state is the top reason why we have so many Whelens here. Everybody likes supporting local industry in this world in general, I think, and we happen to have a decent (if not the best, I guess) siren company in-state, so we'll do everything we can for them.
There's 2 plants, the main one in Chester next to the Winthrop airfield (a very small airport for small private planes) about 2 miles from the Deep River town line and another in New Hampshire. They ship out the outdoor warning sirens and vehicle lightbars and sirens via truck to dealers nationwide. Of course they ship their sirens for free statewide which is another reason why you see tons of them scattered around, especially around the plant where you'll find quite a few various omni WS 2000s used for the VFDs and a few 2910s starting to pop up for Millstone's system. The ironic part is, the Chester Hose Co inspite of being about 2 miles from the plant, has a 2T22 for their fire siren. If you ever make it to that part of the state, you've got to catch a noon test. It's one of the best sounding T22's I've heard in person.

Return to “Videos and Media”