scooterbugs25

saline county siren upgrade video

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:33 am

click on the camera above the pic of the siren it will play for you. I didnt think that modulators where that old!!

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=32133

jkvernon

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:40 am

That's just stock footage of their sirens. Modulators came out in the 90s I believe.

loudmouth

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:56 am

probly the 3016s thats been around since the 60s wasnt it?

jkvernon

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:03 am

Try using some periods. I found concept drawings once of the Modulator that date back to the early 90s. Also the Modulator wasn't in any of the 80s catalogs. This is why it isn't that old.

jkvernon

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:26 am

Crap! I'm sorry, I thought that was a different siren video. But still, Modulators aren't old at all. It just goes to show you the reliability of electronic sirens versus mechanical, that the electronic's equipment has more of a tendancy to fail.

thunderbolt1003kid

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:26 pm

but there are still replacement part for modulators isn`t there :|

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 pm

for soem odd reason, i can hear the audio, but i cant see the video :?

hobbeekid

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 am

That's funny it just shows what kind of era we live in where the governmen't $$$ dries up and the taxpayer is left to foot the bill to replace some already worn out overpriced electronic speaker junk that was partially responsable for the demise of alot of good working order electromechanical sirens.I'm not saying all,electromechanical sirens last forever as some do wear out but why not replace the worn out mechanical with newer mechanical or refurbished older mechanical sirensinstead ? their reliability would be alot higher and costs to install and maintain would be considerably cheaper.Who cares if the don't talkor have battery backup well maybe batterybackup might be important.Does anyone know what it would take to modify or change out the motor in a older siren for battery backup? would it be cost effective to update a older siren to battery backup? just a thought what do you think?

quiksmith10

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:22 am

hobbeekid wrote:That's funny it just shows what kind of era we live in where the governmen't $$$ dries up and the taxpayer is left to foot the bill to replace some already worn out overpriced electronic speaker junk that was partially responsable for the demise of alot of good working order electromechanical sirens.I'm not saying all,electromechanical sirens last forever as some do wear out but why not replace the worn out mechanical with newer mechanical or refurbished older mechanical sirensinstead ? their reliability would be alot higher and costs to install and maintain would be considerably cheaper.Who cares if the don't talkor have battery backup well maybe batterybackup might be important.Does anyone know what it would take to modify or change out the motor in a older siren for battery backup? would it be cost effective to update a older siren to battery backup? just a thought what do you think?
More than half of your post doesn't make any sense at all. From the very little that does make sense, I have to disagree with your comments. First of all, what kind of era are you living in? I don't know many towns that are able to fund a siren system with their remaining budget. If they get federal help, which is available, chances are that the town will still be short money and have to come up with it by other means. The towns money comes mostly from where? The citizens. Whether it is through tax, parking fines etc. Without the citizens paying, the town would not be able to function.

As far as the rest of your post, I can't make any sense out of what you were trying to get across. You seem to contradict your statements.
Brandon Smith

hobbeekid

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:57 am

Quiksmith,
Critisizem right? your critisizing my above post is it constructive or desructive? hmmm seems desructive in the in the suttle low key way you come across this thread to me.
Ok so what is it that you don't understand?I don't make sense?I meant just what I said above. You did look at the video right? did you look at the video? So whats the problem?What era do I live in?!You tryin to be a smartass or somthin?!I'm reponding to the video.There was once a time that the federal goverment funded a good portion of warning systems for cities and towns across america during the cold war.The whole bill was was not paid, but most of it by the federal governmen't where the local state ,county whatever you want to call it picked up the rest of the tabThe government should do that today to some extent. especially in areas that are prone to severe weather. Now am I wrong about that?!you seem to be the expert out here,I'm not a historian never claimed to be.I've never researched how funding is raised for warning systems.I've got better things to do than that.I was simply commenting on the video and the fact that electronic sirens are a waste of money to me. A siren is no good if it fails right?I've never been a fan of electronic sirens are you?

Fast foward to today times have changed. there's little or no federal money to help replace worn out siren equipment that should'nt need replacing in the first place.Not at 12 yrs old, Now isn't the video above about a broken siren? A broken electronic siren? a siren that the lady the news crew interviewed said did'nt work & that the city said it's obsolete there are no parts for it anymore and that it needs replacing?That same siren that the county judge proposed a voluntary property tax on to raise the funds for siren replacement.That same siren that the lady does'nt want any additional taxes on cause "the county taxes us enough already"I can sympathize with that.If you get gouged for property taxes then you'll know exactly what I mean.That's a tab that should be at the liest subsidized in part by the feds especially for very expenisve new sirens. kind of like highway funds with the restcoming from existing taxes .Don't tell me that it can't be done either,if they need replacement equipment ,a buget could be worked out. That broken siren is kind of hard to believe to me because & maybe this is an assumption, that looking at that particular siren it does'nt look that old. It's electronic why would it need replacing after roughly 12 years of service with a new one when there are 40 to 50 year old sirens still out there going strong.Are the newer electronic sirens like tv sets? They only last maybe ten years then replace them because they're obsolete and there are no parts to maintain them?sounds kind of ludacris to me, again I'm reponding to the VIDEO.If money has to be spent on new equipment for existing siren replacement and area expansion, why not save few dollars and go with older refurbished equipment?If the taxpayer has to foot the bill for new sirens, thats inevitable since there is little to no federal money to help support new equipment,like there was years ago, there should be someone in that local government that can budget together a good system that will last for 20 to 25 years with maintainence out of that taxpayer account..A electromechanical siren, In my opinion will go alot further reliability wise than one of those speakers.
If a older siren can somehow be modified for battery backup cost effectively,it might just breathe new life into some of the older stuff while giving smaller communities an alternative to a new siren. Again just a thought, I feel like I have to clarify everything for you now.Those were my thoughts that I tried to convey in the above post does any of it make sense now?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”