quiksmith10

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Thank you for clarifying your first post. I did in fact see the video, a couple of times. Something people have to remember is that this is a newscast. They are reporting just what they are told or find out through research. From seeing the news report, it would seem to me that the other siren, the 3016, would be the first to go in the system due to it's age. I believe that the 3016 has been around longer than the Modulator. I can't believe that the parts for the Modulator cannot be found anymore. Personally, I think the news reporters showed the wrong siren (the Modulator) in their report.

As I stated before, where do you think cities get their funding for sirens? The people. An extra $5 is nothing and would definitely give a good start on replacing the system. There are many other programs and taxes that take a lot more than a measily $5. Plus, from the sound of it, this would be a one time deal.

I would also like to add that even the best of sirens will still need maintenance in order to perform correctly. You just can't put a siren up and expect it to work forever, no matter what kind it is. I'm sure some other members of the board would be able to elaborate on the specifics. Without this maintenance, you can expect a siren to fail more quickly and not last as long as it should.
Brandon Smith

q2bman

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I used to agree with the modification of older mechanical sirens to 48 volt dc motors or something that would work with battery backup. NowI am growing to like the Electronic sirens. Especially the Whelen WSP Sirens. The abbilaty to reproduce the Electro-Mechanical sound of a T-Bolt of 2T22 is awsome. Anyway, on subject, this modification process is pointless because of the increased reliability of the new Electonic sirens. And, allthough they may not last as long as a spinning chunk of metal incased in cast iron, they have small, lightweight, inexpensive componants to replace. I have to go in favor of Electronics now. No modification of the classics neccessary. Let them rest in pieces.

hobbeekid

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:12 pm

quiksmith10 wrote: Something people have to remember is that this is a newscast. They are reporting just what they are told or find out through research. From seeing the news report, it would seem to me that the other siren, the 3016, would be the first to go in the system due to it's age. I believe that the 3016 has been around longer than the Modulator. I can't believe that the parts for the Modulator cannot be found anymore. Personally, I think the news reporters showed the wrong siren (the Modulator) in their report.
Brandon,
I see what you are saying about that particular siren being wrong and it very well could be.youre making an assumption based on your knowledge of these particular sirens.The news people reported that particular siren, a block from that woman's house, a modulator, a fairly new siren was broken & obsolete & needs replacing now whether the newspeople are lying,don't know what they are talking about,I don't know.It just further undermines my trust in that electronic equipment.They made the report,they could be wrong. I will acknowledge that.........

As I stated before, where do you think cities get their funding for sirens? The people. An extra $5 is nothing and would definitely give a good start on replacing the system. There are many other programs and taxes that take a lot more than a measily $5. Plus, from the sound of it, this would be a one time deal.

You don't think I don't know that I said the people will have to foot the bill inevitibly.I realize this equipment is very expensive,when is comes to replacement/ maintenence why not be a little more cost effective about it.
I think I remember the judge saying it would be a yearly deal & youre right about five dollars whats five dollars? I don't know what kind of other taxes those people get hit with besides property,maybe county road fees,
on top of all the other bills that have to be paid,Mortgage, water, electrical,
phone,garbage,food,homeowners insurance ,carpayment, plus any other personal bills that might come up verses whatever fixed income they have
lots of varibles there on both sides.,If there are alot of other taxes & programs that take more than five dollars why can't the county allowcate funds from these sources? maybe new policecars,I know they're important,and countytrucks & hybrid (thats gas&electric) vehicals are alot more important than sirens..You'ld be suprised at what local government can waste money on.

I would also like to add that even the best of sirens will still need maintenance in order to perform correctly. You just can't put a siren up and expect it to work forever, no matter what kind it is. I'm sure some other members of the board would be able to elaborate on the specifics. Without this maintenance, you can expect a siren to fail more quickly and not last as long as it should.
Well in this case lets go by track record there's still alot of older equipment out there doing what it's supposed to do with maintenence I stated that in the above thread.If the county did its homework,it could put together a good low buget system that would last for 20 to 25 years with
maintenence. Yes I stated that..Ok the selling point of alot of these newer sirens the electronic sirens can talk as well as make the different tones.plus run off of battery backup/solar if the power fails right? same thing with the fereral 2001/ eclipse just to name a couple.this stuff is very expensive to replace or add if never purchased before these electronic sirens are responsible for the dimise of a lot of good older working mechanical sirens that could be put back into service perhaps temporarily
for a quarter of the cost,aiding coverage issues until a buget for new equipment can be worked out. hopfully for 2001's.Look I know nothing about 3016's or modulators all I know is that they're speakers to me where I live there are no sirens at leist working ones so I could'nt give a perfomance evaluation on one. All I was doing above was resonding to the news report..........

Jeff

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”