Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Denver Int'l Airport Sirens

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:10 pm

I've been in and out of DEN a few times during the last month and was very happy to find that the airport has about 6 or 7 sirens within about 2 or so sqaure miles. While this is complete, and absolute overkill, one must consider the situation. Being layed out in such the way it is, the airport requires many loud sirens in a small area to compete with air traffic, so I'd thought I'd make a map demonstrating just how close the sirens are. (These are units that I have seen personally, and are a rough estimate on actual locations.) I've also included pictures of 2 of the 6-known FS 2001's at the airport. I should also note that some of the units looked newer, and were equipped with solar panels, leading me to think that they were installed in the last 5 years. There may be one or two sirens out there, I think I may have seen another off the threshold of runway 25 (bottom left), and I wouldn't be suprised if there was another in the terminal area.

This first picture is of the 2001 at the West end of Concourse Bravo. (If you are ever at the airport I encourage you to walk down to that end, as the siren is literally 25 meters away, and can be seen clearly.)

This next unit is off the accross the apron from the North side of Concourse Charlie at the Continental Airlines hangars.
-The Princess

thunderbolt1003kid

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:12 pm

i remember seeing those two sirens when i went to the airport nice pictures too :D

XGM
New User

Sirens at Denver Int'l Airport

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:11 pm

Hi,

I used to work at one of the rental car companies at DIA from 1996 to 1998. I remember the day the sirens were delivered to the airport because I watched the crew install the one that's along Pe?a Blvd. I think they installed the original sirens in '97. There was a short story about it on the news, and they said that with the new sirens at the airport, Denver had a total of 71 sirens. (They probably have alot more now.)

When I worked there, there were only three sirens. They were delivered on a flatbead truck. The three or four additional sirens had to come later, but I don't know when because It's been eight years since I've lived in the area.

I can understand why they now have six or seven sirens. At the time I worked there, there were several tornado warnings but the three sirens were barely audible from most places around the airport. Most people didn't even hear them when outside.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”