What kind of fire alarms do you like the best?

Electromechanical (buzzers)
38%
Electronic (tones)
32%
PA System (voice)
11%
Fire Bells (electromechanical)
16%
Other (please say in your post)
3%

Total votes: 37
SirenMadness

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:33 am

Some are even voices recorded onto the alarm's chip from a computer-made voice.
~ Peter Radanovic

Sirenfanatic0023

vocal sounders

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:01 am

How is the data inputed into the chip? Do they have some guy that just types the phrases into the machine?
Is this really what it sounds like?

SirenMadness

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:08 am

Maybe. But I think that it is first inputed into a computer, then downloaded onto the chip from the computer.
~ Peter Radanovic

Sirenfanatic0023

Fire Alarm Sounder voice

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:26 am

I did a little experiementing with a text to speech program, and one of the voices it has sounds alot like a voice I've heard being used in a fire alarm system. (Microsoft Mike) I've also heard they conducted a study that stated that during an emergency female voices are more calming than male ones. Yet I've never heard a female voice on a fire alarm. Just male ones. Any idea why this is?
Is this really what it sounds like?

Melvin Potts

Fire Alarm Types

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:09 am

I was only familiar with the horn/buzzer type.

One of the elementary schools I attended had one of these systems. Horns would sound 4 blasts, then 3, and repeat over and over until shut off.

My high school also had these. This system sounded a 3-1-2 pattern of honks.

I always wondered how these things worked.

Elementary school where I taught had the horns as well. Pull boxes were in all the halls. However, principal flipped switch in his office for fire drill; only let the horn sound a short blast.

Middle school where I taught also had the horns and pull boxes. Principal or assistant would let the horns blare until everyone was out of the building..about 3 minutes. Talk about creating a sense of urgency!

I recently heard one of the electronic ones. When my youngest niece graduated from college last month, some idiot pulled the alarm in the arena. I almost didn't know what it was at first. It would sound 2 or 3 whoops..then make a voice announcement. It could barely be heard above the noise of exiting crowd.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:21 am

When I grew up it was all bells or buzzers, depending on the school. All the schools I went to were conscientious about holding their fire drills. If you sat by the window in class it was your job to close the window when the fire alarm went off before lining up to evacuate. In one of my schools the first student in line (always a patootie smooching toady) carried the class flag that the rest of us rallied on.

Now it's mostly uniform. Fire alarms in buildings are governed by NFPA 72, the National Fire Alarm Code. It details what kind of signals are allowed and when voice alarm and command post stations are required. I don't know the details of it, not being a designer, but the code manual is $50 from NFPA in Boston.

I wonder what things have changed since 9/11.

Daniel

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:48 am

A question for Canadians: It seems that every building I have entered in Canada, from British Columbia to Ontario, uses the same kind of fire alarm: a 12" red bell. It this part of a national fire alarm code, or just some manufacturer with a monopoly on the industry?

SirenMadness

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:14 pm

I'm not sure to a full extent, but it must seem that the Edwards company is pretty popular. I've had Edwards-bells in my apartment building; I also have them in my school; and many stores in my area have them.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 am

As an elementary school child, did I really see dim sparks coming out from beneathe large red fire gong bells as I walked past during fire drills?
I now seem to recall that.

Thank you,

Daniel

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:19 am

I am back in school after several years away to finish my MA. The building I live in has Wheelock NS horn/strobe units, which were installed in 2002 and I have not yet heard. There is a new building with what I believe are Genesis horn/strobe units, and the other day they were testing the system. All the horns sounded a Code 3 pattern with an irritating, high-pitched piezo warble. It sounded like a large collection of smoke alarms, and nothing like the old Federal Signal slow-whoop horns in the other residence hall. I miss the old 120 volt horns with their 60 Hz. tone. THAT was what a fire alarm sounded like, not like Monty Python's Dead Parrot with 4 million volts going through it.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”