bigloudnoise

(Updated w/new audio) Whelen 3016 with 4004 tone generator

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Once again, yesterday was DAEC siren test day. This time I was able to record the 3016 in downtown Shellsburg. I was expecting it to sound almost identical to the two previous DAEC sirens I've recorded...but instead I was treated with the standard 4004 tone set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pkpddrcTSM

I also did a siren ambiance recording at the same time by hiding a digital voice recorder in a corn field away from town. It's audio only, no video or pictures. It's also mono only (I don't have a stereo recorder yet). Whether I'll make a video slideshow of it or just upload it somewhere as an MP3 I have not yet decided.
Last edited by bigloudnoise on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kswx29

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Man that echo is creeppy! As is the ambience of all of the other sirens sounding. Very awesome video! Wierd to hear that tone on a 3016.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

bigloudnoise

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 pm

I decided to upload the siren ambiance I recorded separately as an MP3, since there's really no need for it to be accompanied by video or pictures anyway for maximum enjoyment.

This was recorded approximately three miles west of Shellsburg. As mentioned before, I simply hid a digital voice recorder in a corn field, and let it run while I went and recorded Shellsburg's 3016. At least six sirens are heard in this recording (Including the one in Shellsburg), possibly more depending on how good your hearing is (There are 10 sirens within four miles of where this was recorded). Most of the sirens heard are 3016s, but there is one 2016 definitely heard (The same one I recorded back in July), and one newer 4004 possibly heard. I tried not to put the recorder too close to any one siren, and I think I did a good job on that (The closest siren was 1.5 miles away), but the microphone still got overloaded a few times. I also apologize for the traffic noise. The field I hid the recorder in is next to a gravel road that doesn't get much traffic, but unfortunately still gets some on occasion.

Oh, and one more interesting thing about this recording. Even though the attack test ends at 5:30, the recording goes for another three minutes afterwards. If you listen closely, you'll occasionally hear a very distant siren continuing to sound attack. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that it malfunctioned and didn't receive the abort signal. Thus, instead of stopping after the first minute (As the other sirens did), it kept going for the full three-minute cycle. It's finally heard (Just barely) winding down at about 7:30.

I loathe RapidShare and similar websites, but unfortunately, at the moment, it is the only place I was able to put the recording.

http://rapidshare.com/files/151561026/1 ... e.mp3.html

EL1998P71

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 pm

That "ATTACK" is very creepy, not anywhere near how the used to sound attack on my cities 3016's. very unique! Awesome Video!
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Return to “Videos and Media”