Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Man I can't type!

I meant: "man they sure have come a long way with the pnuematics (SP?)"

:oops:
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

loudmouth

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Yeah trucks have came a very long way.
I?ve passed a rig a couple of days ago on the highway he had some type of train horn on his truck I couldn?t tell make, but any ways he had them mounted right over the mirror of his truck but they were out of tune and dirty bad sound but still loud.

I plan on getting some horn on my truck problem place it rear facing so dirt and crap doesn?t end up in the horn but put it in-between the fender and the bed so its hidden. My toyota horn dosent do any good to annoying sounding. sounds like i got a big bee stuck under my hood
6 horns in your jeep... WoW how do you wire that.?

There?s a jeep up my way that had the horn blasters special in it the black plastic trumpets about 5 in total under the hood of the jeep. Along with a air whistle in the on the front bumper.

q2bman

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:38 pm

sweet! i need some volume!

I wired them through a relay same as my siren. When i honk the horn it pulls in the relay. Easy as pie.

I see lots of train horns on trucks mounted horns down behind the cab. They are loud enough and are protected from the elements. I am getting angry at BNSF for placeing the new gevo locomotive horns way back from the cab and all of the ones i have seen have four of the five bells facing the rear! I know cab noise is an issue but come one! I was so happy to see five chimes and now this! Face them all forward!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

loudmouth

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:43 pm

i know with one company they put the horns to close to the exaust outlets on the locmotives which can be around 800+degres (ive seen some were theres been turbo problems and flames came out a good 8 feet from the top of the locomotive.)but the heat affectet the horns so bad that the souned more like squeels then a good blast or some started off good but as soon as they got the full blast the diaphrams would crap the bed and it be reduced to just 2 horns or worse 1 or none at all.

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:55 am

Anyone know the best horn not requiring the weight and cost of an air compressor?

Are any of those electric horns or horns with mini compressors any good?

Real horns with compressors and tanks reduce fuel mileage and create more pollution, much less the cost andifficulty of finding space and difficulty of installation.

We could use a horn mounted on the left front of the EV when we get behind truckers who can't hear the siren.

Truckers should face their horns forward toward the hazard
rather than down which spreads sound everywhere it is not needed - such as into nearby homes.

Thanks,

Brendan Ahern

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:18 am

So would they possibly do something like this???

http://www.filecabi.net/video/ferryhorny.html

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:53 am

Brendan Ahern wrote:So would they possibly do something like this???

http://www.filecabi.net/video/ferryhorny.html
That is the whole reason I want train horns on my vehicle. :twisted: I should be getting a set very soon.

Brendan Ahern

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:49 am

Well yeah, seriously, why else would you get one? I know that seeing this video will make some people mad, but there are far worse things than a little horn blast. Besides, it is pretty funny.

loudmouth

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:01 pm

its not a ferry horn its called the condutors special and its plastic horns i belave . and its all so good for thouse realy smart peoplewho cut you off. or if your just train fan like me!
truckers like them too

Robert Gift

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 am

Brendan Ahern wrote:Well yeah, seriously, why else would you get one? I know that seeing this video will make some people mad, but there are far worse things than a little horn blast. Besides, it is pretty funny.
Audio but no video on my computer.

I sound the siren asparingly as possible to not disturb the peace.
So am one who would NOT approve.
But must adm.it did sound awfully funny!

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”