Robert Gift

BEWARE! Locomotive horns stolen and placed on vehicles.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:41 am

I heard a train horn coming from the southwest where there are
no tracks.

Had to be on someone's vehicle.

Later, learned train horns are being stolen off locomotives
rather than being legitimately purchased for thou$and$.

The valuable locomotive must be taken out of service
until the railroad installs another expensive horn cluster.

Suspect anyone who has such a horn.

Nextime, if I actually see the vehicle, I will retain all information:
License Plate, Make, Model, Year of vehicle, and report it.
Police may discover that it is stolen.

Nelso90

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:54 am

There are a lot of legitimate collectors of train horns out there, you know... :roll:

Robert Gift

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:03 am

Yes. Thanks, I know.

I'd like to have one.

Rightly or wrongly, there are some people whom I would suspect.
I would suspect anyone like me who could not afford such a set of horns.

I'd want to check them out.

Anyone who had a legitimately acquired locomotive horn should carry paperwork. But of course, such paperwork could be forged.

Railraods should have a website with stolen object serial numbers, etc.

loudmouth

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:45 pm

I plan on buying some from some one who hasnt stole them.
theres ao good site out there were you can pick up the real deal or some thing just as loud and sounds pritty good.

Daniel

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:00 pm

I'm not going to assume that anyone with train horns on their vehicle obtained them illegally. Perhaps they bought the horns on eBay and stole the truck. The legal question is whether anything that powerful should be used in traffic on a vehicle. This is why police cars don't drive around with a Thunderbolt on the roof. Also, using horns to simulate an approaching train is, or should be, illegal. My Cadillac was built with four electric horns that sound something like a train (Eb minor 7th chord) but I would get into serious trouble if I parked near the tracks and blew my horn as cars crossed. With an actual train horn, one could not only startle other drivers into possible collisions, but could also cause hearing damage. One could practically vaporize bicyclists (that might be fun, though). It's one thing to have them 20' tall on the roof of a locomotive, and quite another to have them at ground level.

Robert Gift

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:44 pm

I don't know if they're legal or not.

I'll ask the State when I return from China.

They probably do not have any laws against it because who would ever have thought anyone would go the the bother and expense of installing an air compressor capable of powering such horns?

Buthere may be a law proscribing minimum and maximum horn dB output as with headlight output and everything else.

I would question where the Ebay seller gothem.
Of course, they could make up a story.

q2bman

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:06 pm

robert gift wrote:I don't know if they're legal or not.

I'll ask the State when I return from China.

They probably do not have any laws against it because who would ever have thought anyone would go the the bother and expense of installing an air compressor capable of powering such horns?

Buthere may be a law proscribing minimum and maximum horn dB output as with headlight output and everything else.

I would question where the Ebay seller gothem.
Of course, they could make up a story.
They are illegal on anything other than a train where i'm from. Truckers are using them and are getting in trouble. They are using train horn wanna b's from grover or wolo. Not actual airchimes. The train horns would deplete the air supply way to fast. If you hear someone using train horn on the road it would be easy to spot them. Just look for the 150 Gallon air tank!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:11 pm

q2bman wrote: They are illegal on anything other than a train where i'm from. Truckers are using them and are getting in trouble. They are using train horn wanna b's from grover or wolo. Not actual airchimes. The train horns would deplete the air supply way to fast. If you hear someone using train horn on the road it would be easy to spot them. Just look for the 150 Gallon air tank!
Wow! Must be THAT big?
That would probably do a RXR crossing warning.
Wouldn't 20 gallon be big enough for 2 seconds?

Where U from?
Thanks,

loudmouth

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:56 pm

Um go to hornblasters.com they show you all you need to set up a train horn in your car or truck. Unless you planning on sounding your horn like a real train coming to a crossing 2 long blasts 1 shot then 1 more long is the U.S. standard then you might need more then 5-gallon tank but big rigs have the air compactly to sound train horns off. With the onboard air brakes and air ride supetion along with some equipped with air ride cab and air ride seats and then there are the air jacks if they need to change a tire and impact wrench. (Some even need air to run lift gates or for some dump they have air assist rear gates that keep the back door from slamming.) And there are even trucks that have air assisted fifth wheels to help with the hitching process. These trucks have 100+ gallon tanks.i have seen trucks with nathans and other train horns.

q2bman

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:36 pm

I was being a bit sarcastic with the size of the tank. :)

And wow, trucks sure have come a long way with all the pnumatics (so?)
I'd love for trucks to be able to legaly use nathans! They should sound them often!!! Every time an idiot cuts them off, blast them off the road!

I'm from Fort Worth. Robert.

And thanks loudmouth. I going to that site. I've been thinking of putting some air horns, not train horns, on my Jeep. I've got six car horns now but it's just not the same sound!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”