SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:42 pm

It somewhat reminds me of a single tone T-bolt (minus the raspy; echoy tone)

Todd
New User

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 am

PG&E replaced all 131 old Federal electro-mechanical sirens with new ones (2001's and Eclipses) that can operate solely on battery power. Someone finally realized that if there is a crisis at the nuclear power plant, line voltage may not be available to power the warning system. Duh. I believe that the older sirens were 3-phase units. They seemed to wind-up slower. The new sirens are undoubtably single phase. This would explain the quick wind-up. Federal makes a horned and hornless Eclipse. This recording is of a horned Eclipse, in the hills above San Luis Obispo.

q2bman

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:05 pm

Who's copying who?

The Eclipse looks, sounds, and is just like the Tempest t-112.

Who gave who the idea? Surely Federal didn't cpoy the other company,what ASC? is that right?

Tempest T-112's sound similar, run on batteries, have horned and non-horned models. Huh? Makes you wounder.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

SirenMadness

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:21 pm

I don't think that Federal Signal copied American Signal's idea, but that they just realized the need and potential for such a class of siren series; consequently, so did American Signal, by itself, like Federal Signal.
~ Peter Radanovic

Nelso90

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:44 am

But it is kind of funny how ASC used round horns, and FS used square horns. Kind of makes you wonder... 8)

loudmouth

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Todd wrote:PG&E replaced all 131 old Federal electro-mechanical sirens with new ones (2001's and Eclipses) that can operate solely on battery power. Someone finally realized that if there is a crisis at the nuclear power plant, line voltage may not be available to power the warning system. Duh. I believe that the older sirens were 3-phase units. They seemed to wind-up slower. The new sirens are undoubtably single phase. This would explain the quick wind-up. Federal makes a horned and hornless Eclipse. This recording is of a horned Eclipse, in the hills above San Luis Obispo.
Acctuly it was the Feds who finaly made a move and a law that all nuclear power plants must have battery back systems on there early warning system, its just been takeing alot of these plants to finaly get to this point. it happend right as Seabrook finished and wint on line so thats why all the sirens up there are 3016s and 4008s, i would love to have a non silent test tho. i never have heard a 4008.

Robert Gift

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Nelso90 wrote:But it is kind of funny how ASC used round horns, and FS used square horns. Kind of makes you wonder... 8)
Round would be better than square, but FS's rectangular horns sure give it a neat appearance.
When I click on the link above, I get "File Not Found"
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:15 am

Says "file not found" here also.

Thunderbolt 612

Federal Eclipse Audio Recording

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:24 pm

I found two sound clips of the Federal Eclipse on the Federal Warning Systems website, both are in steady mode:

Eclipse NH
http://www.federalwarningsystems.com/to ... Steady.mp3

Eclipse 8
http://www.federalwarningsystems.com/to ... Steady.mp3

Robert Gift

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks for the sound links, 612. (You can delete your previous post.)

What ridiculous sound clips. No wind-up or wind-down?
Are these actual Eclipse recordings or absurd electronic portrayals?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”